Hello! Building up a Compact in NZ

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Hello! Building up a Compact in NZ

Postby steve k-b » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:21 am

Hi all !

Ill start off saying im glad to have found a forum with what looks like a heep of knoledge and info on similar projects to what ive started.

A bit about me: I had an old KE70 corolla rally car for a few years but got rid of it after being annoyed at the lack of power and other intrests jumping up. Its been awhile now and and ive got the itch back so have decided to build up a BMW compact. Bmws have been a part of the family recently with three other bmw race cars and four others so it seamed a good place to start! That and the fact my two main criteria were that it must be rear whel drive and have enough HP to show off/mess it up. Perfect.

The plan was to have a gravel compact but after speaking to a few people ive since realised the rear suspension set up isnt quite what I was expecting so ive decided to keep it a tarmac car with a bit of fun track use. Im not to worried about being the fastest but think that might change after i get some more seat time.

As im all the way over in NZ and no one that im aware of has built up a compact I will no dout be asking some questions on the forum, starting with one about HHMS and Delage body kits!
steve k-b

Re: Hello! Building up a Compact in NZ

Postby steve k-b » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 am

So its almost been a year since I last posted but the car is a slow process. I ended up ordering the Harry Hockley and have just finished the cage. Altho some of these photos are old and out of order

The last photo was when I was board haha, My old man has a copy of the e46 GTR and I was keen to see how it would fit.
steve k-b

Postby Tris-m3 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 am

That's a nice fitting cage and I like your pedal arrangement, keep the pics coming!
Tris-m3
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby M3 Compact » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Cage looks really good Steve. 8)

Tris-m3 wrote:... keep the pics coming!

^^What he said.^^ :D

Thread in the 'Cars' section? :idea:
M3 Compact
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve k-b » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:59 am

Yeah I realised it was kind of in the wrong section. Next time I have more progress I will start a new thread in the cars section.

Here is a complete thread in my local BMW forum if any one wants to read it.---> http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=35577&st=0&start=0
steve k-b

Postby steve k-b » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:00 am

Got my front brakes!

Cut the rear wheel wells to fit the new guards:

Rear guards semi attached. Need to add a bit to fill in some gaps with more glass but at least its on the way.

I used some bushes from AKG to allow me to use an E46 lower front arm with out changing the rear mount. It pushed out the bottom of the strut about 25mm but now I need to find some longer steering rack ends to suit. I think some E92 rack ends will do but I think I will have to cut some more threads on the shaft to get it to work. Wheels are 35mm off set, this combo looks like it will work ok so far.

This weekends goal will be to fully attach the rear guards and extend the guards with more glass where it needs it.
steve k-b

Postby steve k-b » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 am

BTW, Is it easy to move this to the car build section? I Kind of started it in the wrong place...
steve k-b

Postby steve k-b » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:03 am

Am just sorting out suspensoin.

Ive been asked to supply the weight of the car in full trim with driver, codriver etc. Any ideas on what a typical rally Ti's weight is?

Its running an M52 alloy six cyl,
Med case diff,
The car will still have all the under body sealerl but all interior sound deadning and seam sealer have been removed.

Any info would be great
steve k-b

Postby steve k-b » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Its painted!! So stoked to see it get to this stage.

Have been doing wiring and a few other bits today

steve k-b

Postby Garry.M » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:38 pm

NICE! I,,,,, I'd love mine to look like that!,,,, but it wouldn't for very long :-\
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Looking good :-)
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve k-b » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:58 am

Has any one ever used one of these small heater cores?

I got it from Demon Tweeks. I hope it'll be enough for a demister...
steve k-b

Postby martine30rally » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:15 pm

I have one in my car - blow surprisingly well
martine30rally
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby mef » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:21 am

I also have one on mine, it's OK but could do with a more powerful fan really (which they supplied me with but its a pig to fit), it does demist the screen ok though.

I replaced the fittings with better ones which had a better fitting thread as it started leaking quite badly from the threads which dont seem to tighten up too well.

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby steve k-b » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:41 am

mef wrote:I also have one on mine, it's OK but could do with a more powerful fan really (which they supplied me with but its a pig to fit), it does demist the screen ok though.

I replaced the fittings with better ones which had a better fitting thread as it started leaking quite badly from the threads which dont seem to tighten up too well.

Martin

Thanks for the heads up, Ill keep an eye on those fittings for sure now. What sized fan did they supply?

Since ive had the car back from the painters.....If im not working, eating or sleeping ive been in the old mans barn working on the compact!

Have achived a fair amount for my usual slow pace.

Wiring all in, just waiting on the engine,
Dash is in
Fan/windscreen demister fitted. I got a local fabricator to make up a Y fitting so and fan could blow on both sides of the screen. It turned out really good but I just hope its powerfull enough to work propperly.
kill switch mounted
Intercom in
Fuse box in,
trip meter mounted,
hydraulic hand brake in, I cant wait to give this a try! Its a cheep chinese one (i think) and after talkking to friend who knows more about cars than I do he suggested I may need to go to a smaller master cylinder or a larger leaver to make it work propery but we will see.
All brake pipes sorted. Now need to get the four rear brake hoses sorted in braided hoses before I can bleed them. You maybe able to see ive left joiners below the two master cylinders. I did this incase I had to change a cylinder size. Ill eventually get good quality ones with remote reservoirs so I can easly see brake fluid level.

A few photos of progress:

steve k-b

Next

Return to Cars