Notax compact update

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: Notax compact update

Postby notax » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:33 pm

Thanks, interestingly the blipper works best when set to only rev a tiny bit. It may have been an unnecessary complication, but I'm pleased with how it's working. Re the DTA we wondered whether there is a way to set rev parameters so that the system won't allow a downshift if the revs are too high (as in road cars with paddleshifts) hopefully they'll be something about it tucked in the manual somewhere!
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby gartrac » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:30 pm

Which DTA ecu do you have

From the DTA web site

V73 Release:- Paddle Shift Controller

V73 Adds the ability to use the extra functionality of an S100, not needed for most engine applications, to act as a fully featured paddle shift gearbox controller.
Configurable for most sequential gearbox layouts, with different 1/2 shift neutral positions. RPM limited downshifts, closed loop up and downshifts, variable throttle
blipper lead and timing as well as RPM and paddle pull triggered auto upshifting. Configurable anti push system for downshifts.

Safety features include position sensor limits and sanity checking, stuck down paddle rejection as well as neutral button requirements.
gartrac
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby mef » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:33 pm

yes, thats exaclty what he has and me too! S100 with V78

Not sure about downshift settings, I dont have or seem to need a blipper, its perfect without and you already have my settings in your map Chris!

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby gartrac » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:49 pm

So Mef you actually downshift without using the clutch
gartrac
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby mef » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:21 pm

yues, perfectly since I fitted the paddles system, its so easy and seamless.

martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby gartrac » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:31 pm

The wonders of Tractive
gartrac
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby mef » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:39 pm

gartrac wrote:The wonders of Tractive

Seems to be the case! Much easier and less aggressive than when using the gear lever which is still connected as normal, maybe it's the speed of action from the direct acting air actuator ?
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:48 am

Thanks Peter, good to see that it mentions the rev limited downshifts - will have to see how we do that in time for the event following the one this weekend. Reminds me, I need to get back to you about the parts you mentioned - I'll send you a PM.

I found that I could do clutchless downshifts even using the Drenth stick... only tried it a few times but glad I've now gone for the paddle option. It does feel a bit odd using flatshift, may do a few more road miles tomorrow to get used to the system :D
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:57 pm

I've been prompted by Dave of the Bruvs to give an update on my cars... Zippy Mk1 (the red compact in my signature) has now been relegated to my spare car. Several people have expressed an interest in buying it, but I've spent such a huge amount of money and time on it over the years I can't bear to let it go just yet. No idea what I could ultimately sell it for, but certainly a fraction of what is has cost...

The new car is the 4th compact I've had built and I bought the shell partially completed from Harry Hockley about two years ago. Car specification in case you're interested...

LHD E36 compact
HH multi point shell
HH F2000 wide arch body kit
Fibreglass Bonnet with BMW WTCC carbon vents
Roof vent
FIA 4mm Perspex windows all round
Lightweight halo headlights
Ohlins remote reservoir adjustable suspension all round
6 pot AP calipers up front
4 pot ultralight rear calipers from an unknown works touring car
Full HH custom front arms etc
Full HH rear end including Gripper Diff
Drenth sequential 6 speed
Custom paddleshift
Custom stainless side exit exhaust

Engine
2990 S50 M3
Cat cams
JE race pistons
De Vanos
Geoff Steel carbon airbox
Steel rods
ARP bolts
DTA loom

Interior
HH carbon flocked dash
HH carbon door cards
Digital dash
Corbeau seats

Team Dynamics and Compomotive race wheels 18

Car weighs 1060kg

I decided to take a break from competing last year to give us a chance to finish the new car - I've also recently bought a renovation project and have a new baby, so rallying had to be pushed a bit further down the priorities.

Our first event was at Wethersfield Stages on August Bank Holiday. First time at the event and first time driving a LHD rally car, no time to set up or test car. Suspension was way too soft at what turned out to be a very high speed event. First stage we flew off the track twice at over 100mph whilst drifting round bends - dry but very slippery. Amazingly no harm was done but we dropped to 35th. With each stage we ramped up the suspension and with each stage the car improved as a result. Ended up getting a pot for first in class against the odds 8)

Very pleased the car worked so well straight out of the box. Even with suspension in hardest setting it was still too soft, so we need to change the springs...any thoughts for a tarmac S50 powered compact with coil overs all round? We are also considering fitting a rear ARB and maybe an even thicker front ARB too. Next event is the awesome Challenger Stages at Bovington in November. Another very quick, unique venue - in some stage layouts we hit 130mph :shock: Hope to see some of you there!

I'll try and remind myself how to post a photo of the new car...
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm

So its illegal weight then? as the MIN is 1150kg? :?

We need photos :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby notax » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:29 pm

mrfuzzyfelts wrote:So its illegal weight then? as the MIN is 1150kg? :?

We need photos :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi Tom, I'm writing this whilst on holiday (hence first chance to update) I originally put 1160kg and then changed it. I'll double check when home, it is certainly less than the previous one!

I tried uploading photos using the BRUVS guide but couldn't get it to work. I need to upload them from an iPad, any advice appreciated! Cheers
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Garry.M » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm

What kind of power does the engine produce then? How do you kind it without the vanos?
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby notax » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:54 am

Garry.M wrote:What kind of power does the engine produce then? How do you kind it without the vanos?

With the spec of the engine most builders would claim 340-350bhp, but on a supposedly reliable rolling road (where the engine management was programmed) the operator guessed it would produce a maximum genuine 310 and it actually produced 311bhp - although he showed me how he could easily fudge the figures to make it appear higher.

Car is absolutely fine without Vanos, no issues at all, although I remember it wasnt straight forward removing it. It is the gearbox that really makes the car though, it has been a great investment and transformed the drive.
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 pm

We will help you with photos, we need to see it 8)
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby notax » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:48 am

mrfuzzyfelts wrote:We will help you with photos, we need to see it 8)

Thanks, it would be helpful to know how to do it myself. I did use the Bruvs guide before, but can't get it to work now. Ideally need to know how to get from an iPad to post here. Keen to show it off!
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Cars