e30 IS road rally

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: e30 IS road rally

Postby alan1272 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:16 am

well the inevitable happened; the exhaust broke at the front and folded itself in two under the car after an hour and a half.
the whites were very rough and it was probably too wet and slippy for the rear tyres as i had some pretty extreme oversteer :D
i'll have to make a new exhaust and tuck it well out of the way.
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:37 am

everybody likes damage pictures :D
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:08 pm

well i couldn't find a cheap standard exhaust for it so i ended up making my own from bits of pipe and a couple of jetex silencers. i am quite pleased with how it came out and it also makes the car slightly louder without being excessive.

finally fitted my coil on plug conversion that i've had sitting around for two years.

i'm doing Rali Gogledd this weekend which starts literally down the road from my house, which is nice :D

sadly my drift spec colways have had to go in the bin as i've worn them out so back to boring grippy rear tyres for this rally :cry:
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:54 pm

well the gogledd was a lot of fun and we got the car to the finish. it was lots of fun chasing Daishag who was navigating the compact in front of us too! sadly we picked up a fail which cost us a good result as we were on course for second in class before it. glad to get to end of an event on which i had a bit of a 'mare on my debut three years ago!

we had a bit of a problem with the engine temperature especially in the tests where i was using lots of revs at a low speed, so i think i may look at fitting an electric fan to help it out.

we had a small incident where we rammed a bank down a white, fortunately it just bent the front valance back a bit so we sped off down the road and did exactly the same thing about a mile later!
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 pm

some pics from the Gogledd :D

alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby jonnysprinter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:36 pm

alan1272 wrote:well what a night that was!
:D
the car is an absolute weapon! i haven't enjoyed myself that much in a car EVER!
the brakes were shocking but with the yoko's on the front and colways on the rear we just drifted it round the lanes all night. it just wouldn't understeer and the front end saved me from a big off several times.
the billies were great and our ride height, which would put a unimog to shame, meant we flew down even the roughest whites :D

came away with 3rd in class and 9th o/a :D
oh, and i broke my thumb on friday when i caught it between the wheels and caliper :oops:

I've not been on the forum for a while, so (belated) congratulations Alan on getting your car rebuilt and getting a nice result to boot. :)
Hope the thumb is back to normal now :wink:
Always look on the bright side of life :-)

Stay wuth her johnny - BMW E30 318iS

http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/doyo ... ointheclub
jonnysprinter
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby alan1272 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm

jonnysprinter wrote:I've not been on the forum for a while, so (belated) congratulations Alan on getting your car rebuilt and getting a nice result to boot. :)
Hope the thumb is back to normal now :wink:

thanks, we've had mixed fortunes on the few events we've done this year, bad luck (nav being ill) and a few mechanical issues (due to my poor prep) have kept us down but the pace and ability of the car when it's working well is great.
i feel that either a excellent result or a massive off is just round the corner :mrgreen:

the thumb is fine now, how's your recovery coming along?
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby bruvs1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 pm

you've done it now alan! more pictures of scars and sympathy, then chirping up on everyones posts!
then disappearing for a year!! :roll: :lol:
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Previous

Return to Cars