e30 IS road rally

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: e30 IS road rally

Postby alan1272 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:18 pm

i've drilled the guibo out now so just need to pop to the local engineering suppliers and get some appropriate M12 bolts.
i thought i may have a problem with the input shaft, the e30 box has a 12mm spigot and the e36 has a 15mm spigot :roll: looking on realOEM there are two spigot bearing sizes listed for the M42; one has 12mm ID and the other 15mm ID with the changeover date being 9/1990.
by a stroke of luck the engine that i fitted last year has the 15mm one, so no messing about with that is needed.
i would have had the steering UJ finished tonight if i hadn't aquired the wrong ream :roll:
still tweaking the power steering pipes to fit between the rack and subframe, i could get some flexi pipes made up that would be easy to fit, but sadly i'm a tight git :D
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 pm

I wondered why on earth my Tractive sequential had a 12mm spigot when the old E36 M3 box had a 15mm one. I had to change the spigot bearing in the crankshaft, I never realised there was a BMW one, I just got one of the correct dimensions from a local bearing supplier.

It's coming on good Alan, by the way, I bought my M12 Guibo bolts from the BMW dealer so as to make sure they were the correct spec, the locknuts are "stiffnuts" they also needed to be longer than my originals for the thicker m3 Guibo.

Cheers,

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:43 pm

thanks for the heads up on the stiff nuts martin.

i'm thinking of extending the slave cylinder pushrod if i can't find a compact one by the weekend as i need to be cracking on.

if someone who has a compact could do me a massive favour and measure the length of the pushrod on the clutch slave cylinder it would be massively appreciated :D
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby is-si » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:28 pm

if you are not in a rush i can do this at the weekend.
I've had to fiddle with slave cylinders recently (as our flywheel manufacturer cant read engineering drawings) so we've had different clutch stack height to resolve :roll: .
We should have 3 m12 10.9 surplus guibo bolts too, they're too short for real guibo's! - i'll look....
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:11 pm

is-si wrote:if you are not in a rush i can do this at the weekend.
I've had to fiddle with slave cylinders recently (as our flywheel manufacturer cant read engineering drawings) so we've had different clutch stack height to resolve :roll: .
We should have 3 m12 10.9 surplus guibo bolts too, they're too short for real guibo's! - i'll look....

that'd be fantastic if you could do that for me :D

i've got some m12 bolts from the engineering supplies today, they're only 8.8 grade but they have the correct size shank. the bolts that i took out of my old 320i coupling were only 8.8 grade, so will i need to use 10.9 considering i've gone from m10 to M12? opinions?
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Daishag » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:41 pm

Alan Bolt grade's ie 8.8, 10.9 & 12.5 is there Tensile strength ie what they will take before snapping WHEN TIGHTENING etc not there SHEAR strength which is force which they will be under when fitted to a drive shaft guibo etc.

What im trying to say is a M12 bolt will be stronger in a shear test over a M10 bolt due to its increased dia etc but a M10 8.8 won't be as strong as an M10 12.5 when you try and pull it apart ie when tightening !!!!! Hope you understand my explanation.

Cheers Dave aka Daishag Rallying 07805835655
Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:16 am

i understand the grading of bolts relates to their tensile strength. i cant see 10.9s being necessary in this application if i'm going up a size as the bolts will surely be mainly subjected to shear rather than tension; the increased CSA of the M12 bolt over the M10 will mean they are stronger in shear.
for them to bee in tension the engine and box would have to be escaping out of the grille, or the prop trying to get inside the diff.
however, if i am completely wrong on this please someone point it out before i break something :lol:
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby is-si » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Our E36 compact one measured 102mm from the tip of the pushrod to the gearbox face of the slave body. The compact slave cylinder body projects into the bellhousing.

The same dimension on a spare E30 one we had, measured 70mm.

I wouldnt worry about the bolt grade, i think i've spotted inconsistancys in bolt grade before now.
I would imagine theres a factor of safety when they designed the bolts....... 8)

edit, if you need a piccy just say and i'll upload one later
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:19 pm

steering is done and dusted :D

i reamed the holes out on the linkage to accept 3/8" titanium aircraft bolts and used Stainless steel stiffnuts with them. the result is a very tight fit with no play whatsoever.

the PAS pipes are the standard E30 ones and therefore required a lot of re-modelling. this was mainly time consuming rather than hard but a little patience and they were sitting nicely behind the rack.

i finished the spacers for the rack and put it all together.

a big thank you to is-si who got the slave cylinder measurement for me :D
from his measurements it appeared the pushrod needed extending somewhere in the region of 32mm
so i removed the rod from a spare CSC and measure it from where it protrudes from the rubber gaiter.
the measurement from this point was 75mm (it honestly is, even if the pic makes it look like it isnt :lol: ).

so i cut 32mm of m8 stud and welded it to the end.

and ended up with a length of 107mm. i'll put it together and try it during the week.

i also bolted the Guibo to the box; so i have nearly got everything ready to go back in the car :D
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:55 pm

i put the engine and box back in the car today.
the shortened steering linkage fouls on the manifold :evil: so i reverted back to the standard one and have cut down the dust cover and need to grind a bit off the end of the pinion shaft on the rack.
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:23 pm

well seeing as it was such a nice day today i grasped the opportunity to crack on with the car; until the garage flooded :x

i say flooded, it was only a few mm of water but enough to persuade me to not lie on the floor under the car anymore.

sorted the steering today. ground off the end of the pinion shaft on the rack as it was touching part of the UJ causing the steering to bind up at certain positions. the clearance of the linkage to the manifold is tight so i'll have to see how much the engine moves around when pulling off and either stiffen the engine mounts or trim the UJ.

bolted the prop up, there was enough adjustment in the centre joint to bridge the gap caused by the difference in output flanges.
i had to shorten the selector rod on the gear linkage by about 10mm to get the gearstick in a useable position and i may still need to shorten it further.
i fitted the slave cylinder with its extended pushrod but haven't yet checked that it works :?

this week i'm working early shifts so i hope to get the struts fitted with the billies.
but most importantly.............

.....i filled out the the entry form for the Automark rally, will be putting it in the post in the morning :D

4 weeks to go :shock:
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Daishag » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Go for it Alan !!! ive heard its a good route you will have a ball !!!!!!!!

Cheers Dave aka Daishag Rallying 07805835655
Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Peredur » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:52 pm

need a nav for that one by any chance?
Peredur

Postby alan1272 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Peredur wrote:need a nav for that one by any chance?

thanks but i'm sorted on that front :)
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby alan1272 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:15 am

put the billies on it today and the new front arms. i also recieved a full set of discs through the post so they'll go on the front tomorrow so then i can put some wheels on it, turn it around and begin on the rear.
the rear bearings need changing and i have some new backplates to go on too.
i see Avto is on the entry for the automark, be good to have a spin on the same rally as him.
20 days to go :D
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Cars