just about ready, its first rally next week

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

just about ready, its first rally next week

Postby jerseypug » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 pm

The car is just about there. it has now got its passport and i have a couple of small jobs to finish off to get it ready for our rally next saturday. i still have to fit the in date belts and seats from the other car (no point having 2 sets as i can only drive one car at a time) i need to fit the intercom which is already wired up and fit the wheels with the dirt tyres on.
it has the standard m44 engine with medium case 3.9 lsd. the suspension is bilstein shocks front and back with 350lb 10" front springs and e36 M3 springs on the rear. i have taken the rear roll bar off and left the front one on. the car is about 15mm higher than standard. i have no idea with suspension so it will be interesting to see how it handles on the gravel/dusty concrete.
i can always disconnect a drop link on the front roll bar and see how it works.
i used the other car on the dirt without both roll bars and liked the way it handled but the car was very low and the springs were much harder.
one thing i have noticed is when driving on the wet roads with standard road tyres the rear locks up very easily, driving normally, dropping down to 3rd at about 30mph will put it sideways along with accelerating in a straight line in 3rd will spin the tyres and its defiantly not from too much power. if anyone has any advice about roll bars/ ride heights etc please let me know.
jerseypug
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Re: just about ready, its first rally next week

Postby jerseypug » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:36 pm

a bit of a late post. i finished 4th in the rally and had really good fun with a few adjustments throughout the day as i was suffering from excessive understeer, i removed the roll bar which helped a lot and had to remove the short shift gear lever as i couldn't find third gear a lot of the time. A good friend of mine was keen to buy the car off me so i sold it to him and he loves it, shame really as i really enjoyed driving it. i have now bought another one to eventually turn into dirt rally car and will hopefully get a few more rallies out of it but i have to finish the e30 first
https://youtu.be/gYezi9uQ1tg
jerseypug
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Return to Cars