compact stage car build

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: compact stage car build

Postby denzilbmw » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Bimsy wrote:Denzil, I`ll service for you if you want and if you`re stuck for a barge and trailer let me know. My rates are very reasonable ! :lol:

have to get you booked then :lol: :lol:
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Garry.M wrote:What pistons are those?

hi gary , pistons are honda k20 , come at 86mm bore size and 22mm pin .
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Garry.M » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:27 am

Are they the same crown height or did you have to pick /modify a different rod? Interesting build. Who's doing the engine work for you?
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Garry.M wrote:Are they the same crown height or did you have to pick /modify a different rod? Interesting build. Who's doing the engine work for you?

piston is raised crown similar to an intruder type design , stuck with a m42 rod , they are out of the pot about 1mm , local engine shop doing the machine work but im building the motor myself , mind you its still a big trial at the moment so it could all turn too s"""t quite quickly . it works on paper and looks like it will so fingers crossed proof be in the pudding .. :roll:
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Garry.M » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Has the pistons been modified for valve clearance? A guy I know seems to be know about this combo already
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 pm

pistons have valve cut outs already but until ive dry built it to check clearence i dont know if they need to be any deeper , valve shims should be here this week so i can get it done then ..
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:02 pm

been a slow couple of weeks , manage a few hours this weekend , made a start on mudflaps , finished off pull cables soldered the ends , cliped and trimed to length .
fuel pipes cut and fitted , ext all finished off , should have run a duster over it before the photos :lol:

denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:09 pm

well it was all going so well , dry built the motor today and turns out some issues with piston valve pockets , will need to strip and get these machined , gutted but was half expecting it just hoping theres enough meat in them , have to see what machine shop says ..worth a gamble though . :(
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Garry.M » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:44 pm

I did ask a guy I know about using those pistons,,, well I showed him a pic of your engine with the pistons,,, he recognised the pistons and said that there was valve cutout issues. I maybe should have said earlier - but thought you must have machined them already
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Garry.M wrote:I did ask a guy I know about using those pistons,,, well I showed him a pic of your engine with the pistons,,, he recognised the pistons and said that there was valve cutout issues. I maybe should have said earlier - but thought you must have machined them already

yes not the end of the world just a pain to strip and get them machined , but its all a learning curve , but can be done .. :lol:
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Chris2k4 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:58 am

The car is looking good fat bloke :D :D :D
Chris2k4

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Chris2k4 wrote:The car is looking good fat bloke :D :D :D

its getting there , final stages now ...
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:30 pm

been a few weeks without posts but have been doing a bit in between working at home to keep her indoors happy , cars nearly done very few jobs to do , motor to build , fit and map , seats and belts and a few stickers and we should be there , was hoping to do mid summer caerwent but they have moved the date by two weeks so ill still be on holiday ... :cry:

been building the engine loom for the dta in between finished it this weekend just need to put the ecu plugs in when its ready to fit
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 pm

went for dta 60 in the end was going to buy one off MEF on here , but a local lad bought this new in the show in january then bought a motor with an ecu included and set up ready , so with a 250 quid saving it was a no brainer . happy days ..
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 pm

stripped the bottom end so pistons are ready for another visit to the engine shop to the valve cut outs sorted .
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

PreviousNext

Return to Cars