compact stage car build

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: compact stage car build

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:12 pm

bruvs1 wrote:Looking good. Nice build. 8)

thanks for the post , yes its getting there now , i must have read your compact blog a dozen or more times for info and direction and ideas, cant beat a quality well built car ..
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Overthelimit wrote:Are you planning to use this as a show car?
I think if that was mine and I took it on a rally I would cry after it got the first scratch.
Very nice work.

hi mate , no it defo wont be a show car , its the way i always build my cars , like them to be the best i can afford at the time , hopefully be done and out on the stages in the new year , dont mind what they look like after a rally is done but she got to look her best before . :lol:
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:27 pm

put a bit heat protection on the inner wing , seeing i had it there anyway , finished off the connector blocks for the fans , starter ,and starter feed ....
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 pm

short shift gear stick , looks more like a party piece from ann summers ... :lol:
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:40 pm

dummy motor and box fitted ready for the car to go for an exhaust manifold and system to be made , cant get a tidy manifold off the shelf , plenty for left hookers ,hopeing the head will be back soon so i can get on with the motor . :D the ratchet strap is there because the box mount would not fit originally the car was auto , so its holding it in place till i can pick one up this week would have been much to easy for them to be the same :lol:
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:47 pm

car has gone for its exhaust manifold and system, so the guy has 3 manifolds and 2 systems to make while its there , for myself , bimsy and one to go to jersey .....

been sorting the bits ready to start putting the motor together, piston ring compressor and torque wrench in work so didnt get far with that , going to have to look at what unions are available for oil cooler as there is not much room on the sandwhich plate ,
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:52 pm

its a proper mocal plate as well so the allternator bracket looks like its in for some technical adjustment with the grinder
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:57 pm

spent the rest of the day cleaning up the shed , you can actually see the floor now , hopeing the head will be back this week , going to order cams etc .
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Adam Gardner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 am

Will a banjo fitting not clear the bracket? What is the engine spec going to be? Is it a long stroke m44/42?
Adam Gardner
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Adam Gardner wrote:Will a banjo fitting not clear the bracket? What is the engine spec going to be? Is it a long stroke m44/42?

hi , yes did think of a banjo , will have to go to hydraulics place and see whats available , its 24 x 1.5 mm in the adaptor so its quite large , had a scout around flea bay last night but nothing that big but there will be something available no doubt . going for the m42 , m47 crank, m42 rods and honda k20 pistons plus cat cams on the top, going to get the biggest i can and retain the hydraulic followers for the time being see what it does .
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Adam Gardner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm interested in the Honda pistons route, are they a straight fit or do they require much machining?
I have most of the parts for an m42 build but have not finished it as I couldn't find a decent piston option without having some made or getting some from metric mechanic in the states.
You could always turn the head of banjo bolt to half a nut to gain clearance.
Adam Gardner
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby denzilbmw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:46 pm

hi , honda pistons are still at the suck and see stage at the moment but they do look like they will do the job . they come as 86mm standard so are readily avaiable, pins are 22mm but clearence is slightly different to m42 rod , raised crown like an intruder type piston , with pockets , but as i say its still at the trial stage once the heads back and i get some cams to dummy it all up ill have a better idea but looking good at the moment, soon as i know if they are going to work ill send you all the details ..
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby brotherhood » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:20 pm

denzilbmw wrote:Image

started doing the poly carb got the rear quarters in and the navs door so far , first quarter took ages to do as i wanted it to look like the original glass with the black surround , quite pleased with the outcome 3 hrs later, second one only took 45 mins :D

That looks really smart, I’m doing mine at the moment, have you kept the original seal? Mine doesn’t look as if will seal right if I do it like that.
brotherhood

Postby brotherhood » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:21 pm

denzilbmw wrote:Image

started doing the poly carb got the rear quarters in and the navs door so far , first quarter took ages to do as i wanted it to look like the original glass with the black surround , quite pleased with the outcome 3 hrs later, second one only took 45 mins :D

That looks really smart, I’m doing mine at the moment, have you kept the original seal? Mine doesn’t look as if will seal right if I do it like that.
brotherhood

Postby denzilbmw » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:04 pm

yes kept the original seals they do bow a bit , but i was going to put some double sided tape between the seal and poly , that should do the trick , its a bit more work to do them like that but a much better look i think ...
denzilbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

PreviousNext

Return to Cars