Fred- The Budget All-Rounder (E36 323i)

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Fred- The Budget All-Rounder (E36 323i)

Postby St.Nick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:56 am

This is Fred. The once daily-driver of my Navigator, Dave; and named by his daughter Eve. :lol:

He's originally Dave's Mum's car, who had the M52 rebuilt about 40k kms ago (to the tune of $8k AUD), and then rear-ended someone about 2 months later!!
Written-off by the insurance company, Dave bought the car from them for practically nothing.

We fitted a headlight, nose panel, RHF guard, bonnet and M3 bar. Gave it a rattle-can grey paint job.... bam, jobs a good'un!

After a couple of years of backwards-and-forwards ownership between Dave, myself, and a few mates (including a stint as a rat-rod/fighter-plane ^as above^), Fred has returned to my care... ready for his final incarnation as a rally car!!

The plan is a basic, budget gravel rally build, with all-round capabilities for gymkhana, circuit sprints and hillclimbs too. No adjustable coilovers, big brake mods, or flash composite panels... just a basic, fun, easy to repair racer!!

More to come on "Full-lock Fred" soon...
St.Nick

Re: Fred- The Budget All-Rounder (E36 323i)

Postby St.Nick » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:02 am

So, the first rally-prep modification has been completed...

ABS and ASC delete. The ABS was only removal of a relay (at this stage). I will remove the pump etc a bit later.

The ASC required removal of a relay too, plus a few fuses. I also removed to ASC throttle body and bracket, and replaced the air boot and accompanying ICV hose with non-ASC parts (cost about $110 total from dealership).
St.Nick

Re: Fred- The Budget All-Rounder (E36 323i)

Postby St.Nick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 am

Ok... another piece of the puzzle.

A genuine blanking panel to delete the factory headunit. Apparently it was for the M3R.

At least its tidier than doing it other ways... and only $9 AUD from the dealership!
St.Nick

Return to Cars