New build M3 Compact in full Hockley LHD shell

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: New build M3 Compact in full Hockley LHD shell

Postby bruvs1 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Did see cliffs car before he got rid and did make some rollbars fit with shags help, but don't think he kept it long enough to see any improvement?! are the old pick up points still there incase you need to revert back to the trusty rear beam set up,
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:00 pm

bruvs1 wrote:Did see cliffs car before he got rid and did make some rollbars fit with shags help, but don't think he kept it long enough to see any improvement?! are the old pick up points still there incase you need to revert back to the trusty rear beam set up,

No, the standard back end is totally gone and can't be reinstated - I'll try and take some photos to show the extent of the changes. It has ceretainly taken some weight out of the car. The other chap I know with a Hockly shell made some changes to his but is ultimately pleased with how it now handles - although he is now retiring from rallying and it is for sale. His is a blue Compact with a non M3 engine on the market for about £45k...
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby bruvs1 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 pm

I know the car, when we went to Hockleys to buy panels we looked at the car when it was fully built minus engine and gearbox, that's how long he's had it! Saw the suspension then and their diff set up. The proflex worked on cliffs car from what I could see but too much body roll hence the need for bars.
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Daishag » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Rear suspension geometry dosent work the cradle brackets had to be modified on Cliffs to get it work and the addition of front and rear ARB's to get it to handle some where decent also the Proflex up rights are designed and set up for an Evo so dont work on a RWD Compact they also had to go back to Proflex.

Will PM You so can speak in better detail etc

Cheers Dave aka Daishag DSR Motorsport 07805835655
Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:53 pm

Hi Dave, thanks it would be great to discuss your experiences. I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to the mechanical side of things (unlike most folk on here) so if you'd be prepared to chat to my rally mechanic too that would be great. I'm competing at Brands tomorrow in the current compact, hopefully we can catch up next week. Cheers Chris
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Thu May 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Quick update - work on the new car is progressing. As always with these projects there is a lot more involved than you at first realise! There has been quite a bit of fabrication so far - mainly in connection with fitting the brakes as there was literally nothing for them to mount to. We've also redesigned the Hockley hubs so that I can run BMW rather than Mitsubishi EVO wheels. The fuel system is coming together, but we are struggling with the TMME competition loom and XAP dash board as key parts seem to be missing...

We have finally managed to get the current car (Zippy) under 100db, trying to do the same with the new shell's side exit exhaust is going to be tricky so I'm probably going to get a professional system made for it and give a pro company the problem!

The plan is to transplant Zippy's full transmission across when the rest of the shell is ready. We've got the diff and driveshafts fitted, brakes are nearly fitted too. Still need some front end fabrication as the shell certainly wasn't designed with an S50 engine in mind so radiator and engine mounts all need work too.

Hoping the car will be ready in the next few months...
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:33 pm

We need photos 8)
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby notax » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:21 pm

I'll ping up some photos soon!

Quick update:

Brakes now sourced, fitted and working - Huge AP 6 pots up front with ultra light weight ex touring car ones on the rear. There was absolutely nothing to fit the brakes to so quite a lot of fabrication was needed.

Diff (medium case as this is what the Hockley back end had been modified to take) we were advised to go for 210 but my main issues have been with shafts not the diff in the past...fingers crossed

Twin fuel pump system now installed

Additional interior fabrication to bring cage up to new regs, fitted custom raised floors

Wiring now works (dash, lights, wipers and very nice dash) part of the custom made loom was missing when I got the car but that has now been sorted

Fabrication to fit standard BMW radiator as it has previously been modified to suit a different engine

Fitted oil and power steering coolers

Additional bracing to front end behind spoiler

Jobs still to do include:

Fit engine and box

Fabricate clutch footrest

Fabricate side exit exhaust

Fit heat proofing inside and under the car

Fit Lexan windows all round and remove window motors

Fabricate vertical handbrake

Fabricate engine mounts

Design a paint scheme (already have ideas, thinking of a wrap, need someone to turn my ideas into something good!)

...and most important learn to drive a LHD rally car :lol:
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Woody has taken some photos, hoping he'll be able to upload them soon. Aiming for first little event in mid August - just a shake down slalom to see how the car hangs together...
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:26 am

any more progress made on this one?

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Martin, just read about your car - sorry to hear about the bump, were you both ok? A 60mph impact could have been bad news for you as well as the car...

My new car is now finished, just needs wrapping and logbooking. Decided to keep it LHD for now. It is a damn fesity thing, done about 25 road miles and had a go at an autotest too. Unfortunately I haven't competed for a year - building the new car ended up much more time consuming and expensive than expected. I've also moved into a big renovation project and we're having a baby in under a week too.

First event was planned to be Bovington (one of my favourites and really suits the car) but due to the baby and pending C section I've had to pull my entry :cry: Now thinking Down Ampney in April will be the car's first proper event. Will post some pics of car if I can remember how to!
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:42 pm

We need photos 8)
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cars