E36 Compact M3 thing.......

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

E36 Compact M3 thing.......

Postby RABrallyesport » Fri May 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Hello all,

My first post on here so firstly hello to you all!

New to the BMW rallying world, but those that know me will know i bought M3Compacts (Simons) E36 car earlier this year, after deciding id had enough of 4wd kit.

Well me and my mate been busy here tinkering away with it and have decided to go down the delage kit route, put her on Reiger dampers, etc but stick with standard running gear/engin to keep the running costs down. Still a bit off but the car had plenty of good bits on to start with so im hoping it will be reasonably quick on Irish / manx tar (with another driver!)

Anyway here is a few pics for now of what we've done so far. Stuck on the issue of how to get her wider now without having to go the whole tubular arms route etc. Trying to get another 35mm on the back and 15mm on the front so any suggestions much appreciated. Currently using ET15 wheels same as others have so that has helped a bit, but dont want to go down the spacer route and ruin the handling if i can help it!

As it was when i picked it up in December (I think!?)

Went for a bit of test with it as it was. Great fun but the power steering pump failed and we had to pack up early.

New dampers to replace the bilstein units.

Fronts on. Took a bit of work and carful gringing on the hub knuckle to get them on but all ok

Rears on, a bit of work here also to get the clearance. The offset top mount helped and a bit of persuasion to the inner wing!

Cut and welded up the wings to enable the extra upper travel on the dampers without it catching on 18'' wheels.

Door cards made up inbetween jobs Image

Mock fit of the bodykit. Good weight-saving also, 32kg lighter than the standard parts overall.

And as she stands now, nearly ready for paint, all rubbed down. Frozen white its going to be.

Plenty of jobs left to do:
- Strengthen rear arms to take the coilovers
- Fit seats and belts
- Fit new plumbed in extinguisher
- Make up new center console
- Paint!
- Oils all round
- General rally prep!

Hopefully be out for the Abingdon Carnival Stages with a bit of luck!
Thanks for taking the time to read :)
RABrallyesport Motorsport Equipment & Rally Media
http://www.RABrallyesport.co.uk
07742214106 - @RABrallyesport - Facebook.com/RABsport
RABrallyesport

Re: E36 Compact M3 thing.......

Postby gartrac » Sun May 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Rab

Firstly never used these item so it's all theory

Rear track I think standard Z3 trailing arms, Not Z3M will give you a wider track, I assume you will have to use the Z3 driveshafts, the bruv's will probably know more about this than me hopefully they'll chip in

Front track, E46 lower arms can be used but there are a few obstacles to over come

The track rod will be too short a combination of E90 or E92 inner track rod and E36 track rod ends should solve this

You will have to use adjustable top mounts to reduce the camber

There is no mounting for the anti roll bar on the E46 arm a simple solution is simply drill a hole for it

The rear lollipop is not a straight fit so will need some work

Hope this helps as stated never tried any of these mods
gartrac
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby bruvs1 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:28 pm

Did you jack up the rear arm to see what the rear wheel looks like when at normal ride height and not in droop rich? Problem is the z3m arms are a bigger bearing so less choice of different hub flanges..
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby RABrallyesport » Fri May 15, 2015 5:31 pm

Got it on wheels, doesn't look too bad really at the right angle. May just run as-is for now for a test and see how it goes as its enabling the full travel of the dampers at the moment without touching anything.

Other option is to change the whole Z3M back end and speak to delage about using a Tubular one of the F2000 car... although i dont fancy the cost of that!

RABrallyesport

Postby RABrallyesport » Fri May 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Out of paint now
RABrallyesport

Postby RABrallyesport » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 am

Little update since its been a while, got a few more bits done, enough to use if on a recent rally school day anyway:

Rear arms all welded up and fitted for the day, now off again for paint. Hopefully these wont bend and can take the coilover rear without issue.

Got the underarches painted up which looks alot neater than it did. Just a couple of coats of brushed on hammerite did the trick and cheap enough to redo regular once it gets a bit worn. Got the front arch liners in, managed to retain the standard one which just about fit.

Then took it out for a test! needs a bit of work setting the dampers up, and a bit lower ride height at the rear. Went nicely and goes well if not a bit wild compared to the subaru im used to! The only issue we had was the Manifold causing the tunnel and drivers footwell to get EXTREMELY hot, so much so the paint was wiping off inside!! Going to put some heat matting on the underside and some exhaust wrap on to stop this happening.

Anyway the search for a solution to get the rear track wider goes on, 25mm spacer will help a bit, but our wheel suppliers refusing to make a wheel less than ET15 so may have to run with that Saab look for a bit until something more suitable can be worked out.

Anyway thanks for reading , more to come in the next few weeks as we crack on with it!
RABrallyesport

Return to Cars