E46 Club spec rally car build

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

E46 Club spec rally car build

Postby TPM » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi there, firstly hello to all the forum members 8)
I'm about to start building a compact for clubman stage rallying, and have chose to do it the hard way and build an E46 with a 2.8 lump up front :shock:
Anyway, this was picked up with a knackered engine for £300 locally, sold the interior and some other bits already and recouped that back :D
It will be fitted with a 6 point weld in cage with front triangulation (first big job) and will post pics as I'm going along

Car as it stood last week
TPM

Re: E46 Club spec rally car build

Postby mef » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Interesting, is this a Compact or Coupe E46 ?

I saw your post regarding the Custom cages, good luck.... will be watching this with interest

Where are you in UK?

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby TPM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:12 am

Hi Martin, yes it's one of two E46 compacts I have just now. I know they are a totally different set up to the E36 compacts I've had in the past so setting it up will take some trial and error.
I'm in Boston, Lincolnshire. I've read you don't really like Custom's cages but I've fitted quite a few of their cages without too much hassle.

Regards

Nick
TPM

Postby mef » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:30 am

I dont think I said I didnt like Custom Cages, it was just that the fit of mine was not so good, some of the so called pre-frofiled ends were way out! This made the job a lot harder and took longer than I expected.

I assume you will be removing all the Canbus systems and reverting to a conventional wiring system?

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby roadrally_nova » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:02 am

fitted a full weldin custom cages in the new car
biggest load of hassle ive ever had to deal with every single end needed reprofiling
a 2 day job took 2 weeks
roadrally_nova
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby TPM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:41 am

I think a new bespoke loom will be the best way to go, at least that way I can have what I need where I need it. Engine will run on an aftermarket ecu so it makes sense to junk all the problematic can bus system.
I agree with the profiled ends on their cages, I've had many emails to them in the past but their cages are strong and with a bit of fiddling, tend to fit the shape of the bodyshell well.
TPM

Postby rearwheelsteercompact » Thu May 07, 2015 6:42 pm

How's your project progressing 8)
rearwheelsteercompact
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Return to Cars