Martins 2nd attempt at a rally car build

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: Martins 2nd attempt at a rally car build

Postby martine30rally » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Update time

Have got the car painted underneath and inside. Fuel system is finished and the suspension is in. Narrow rear 2 way shocks to clear the big CV joints from AVO have arrived but not yet fitted as they forgot to include the upper spring seats. Have bolted on all the bits to get it rolling and made the brackets for the brake calipers front and rear.

Currently prepping the bodywork for paint. Hoping to get the main body done next weekend so that I can basically get the car built minus the exterior panels and move enough parts out of the way to allow me to prep the things like wings bonnet, boot and doors.

martine30rally
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Adam Gardner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:43 pm

looking really good now. good to see a project getting back together.
Adam Gardner
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby martine30rally » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Got use of the bodyshop last night so wheeled the car in after some last minute flatting down - by 2 AM the body was in paint. Priming the panels tomorrow and hoping to get the rest painted next weekend.

martine30rally
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby bruvs1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:29 pm

Can't beat shiney new paint 8) looking good ! :D
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Daishag » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Gotta agree she's lookin very nice !!!!!! A nice shiny paint job is the best boost to any build for getting this moving !!!!!!!

Cheers Dave aka Daishag @ DSR Motorsport 07805835655
Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Adam Gardner » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:02 pm

I like that! cant beat a nice white e30! :D :D
Adam Gardner
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby martine30rally » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Happy and sad past week. Happy as the car was finished last minute Thursday - logbooked at 7pm and scrutineered successfully for a rally I had entered on Saturday. All going well for 3 quarters through the first stage. Then after a long straight coming into a chicane the power steering died and left me wrestling to get the car through the damn thing. After limping to service and expecting to be greeted by a red engine bay covered in pas fluid I was surprised to see nothing wrong and the reservoir full. On closer inspection in turned out that the shaft in the PAS pump had sheered and come out about half an inch, taking the serpentine belt with it onto the last 2 grooves. After running round service and to the cafe trying to unsuccessfully find a tray to bleed the system into in the hope we could continue with it dry, we decided it would be safer to call it a day in case the pump broke up further and left us stranded.

On the plus side the car felt like it had a lot of potential, handled very predictably, brakes were awesome and the box transforms the experience completely when flat out.

entry will be going in for a single venue event on 13th July. have ordered an Merc A class power steering pump so will change the mechanical out for that and hopefully that will enable us to finish an event second time lucky!

Some pictures from Saturday

martine30rally
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby bruvs1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Interested in your merc pump installation, car looks great ,nice job B-)
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Wow, a big leap forward since the last pictures were posted! Looks fantastic too!

What engine is in it I can't remember?

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Adam Gardner » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Car looks great martin, cant believe you have got it built already! makes me realise I need to get my act together. :oops:
Adam Gardner
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby yohan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:48 pm

i also want to get my act together now, looks great and at least your pump failure didnt destroy the car.
yohan

Postby is-si » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:00 pm

yes well played martin, it looks well 8)
best wishes for your future events, & keep us posted 8)
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby martine30rally » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:03 pm

We took part in the Jersey rally last week. Was a rush to get the car sorted we didn't do a recce which quite frankly scared the crap out of me. The event was spread over 2 days starting friday afternoon and running into the night, then running all day Saturday. 30 stages sown tight lanes all on close plublic roads. the cars still hadnt had a proper shakedown so I was very apprehensive. 73 cars started on Friday and right from the outset a lot of people were crashing, it rained most of Friday and the roads were greasy, by the time we got to the night stages it was pouring it down.

We made it through daylight but had various issues with the car. First problem was driveshafts coming loose which we had to tighten at every service, this was a recurring problem which had to be addressed every service, the brakes werent great to begin with, they had never worked particulary well and i ordered new pads as I felt this was the problem. These were fitted the day before the event and as a result we never had a chance to bed them in, eventually they settled, however the balance bar bearing then decided to move out of the pedal constantly, this meant it didnt really balance anything and we were stuck with the front doing all the work. Suppose thats better than just the rears.

The most frustrating problem was that when revving over 5k the clutch pedal would get lost and I would have to pump it to get it to disengage. not too much of an issue on long straights where I had the chance to think about it, however in short bursts i struggled changing down the gears.

By the time it got to night time I was much more at home in the car, howeverwhilst in the queue for stage stage when it was pouring with rain, the wiper linkage decided it would pop off the arm on the motor, i managed to put it back on and we started the stage, but by the first corner it popped of again and we had to continue with zero visibility. we still managed to catch a car on stage so didnt effect the satge times too horrifically! On the final evening stage (the longest of them all) we came through an artificially tightened hairpin down a narrow hill which had 3 1 ton bags of gravel on the outside. as it was the thrird time through i got cocky and went it too fast and jabbed the handbrake. we were greeted by a large thud when one of the gravel bags hit the rear quarter. Another thing to add to the list of things to do. we finished friday lying in 37th place (would have been 35th but we had a minute penalty for arriving early in service.

We started early saturday morning on and opted to stay on the hankook wets for the first couple of stages as they were still very slippy , half way through the day the rears were going off badly as it had dried up more or less completely. we changed to mediums on the rear and kept the wets on the front, this helped a lot.

by this point i was driving round the clutch and brake issues. the rest of the day was more or less uneventful , we kept it steady a tightened the shafts each service. on long right handers the car was filling with smoke as the rear arch rubbed the tyre so had to take it easy to avoid a blowout.

we finished the event at 6pm saturday 26th overall. Much to our surprise only 36 cars finished!

Overall very happy. considering the lack of testing and the fact this isnt an easy event at all we were over the moon.

plenty I want to change on the car over the winter but nothing fundamental. first thing will be having the rear wing repaired and a nice rest from working on the car for a couple of months!
martine30rally
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby martine30rally » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:05 pm

We took part in the Jersey rally last week. Was a rush to get the car sorted we didn't do a recce which quite frankly scared the crap out of me. The event was spread over 2 days starting friday afternoon and running into the night, then running all day Saturday. 30 stages sown tight lanes all on close plublic roads. the cars still hadnt had a proper shakedown so I was very apprehensive. 73 cars started on Friday and right from the outset a lot of people were crashing, it rained most of Friday and the roads were greasy, by the time we got to the night stages it was pouring it down.

We made it through daylight but had various issues with the car. First problem was driveshafts coming loose which we had to tighten at every service, this was a recurring problem which had to be addressed every service, the brakes werent great to begin with, they had never worked particulary well and i ordered new pads as I felt this was the problem. These were fitted the day before the event and as a result we never had a chance to bed them in, eventually they settled, however the balance bar bearing then decided to move out of the pedal constantly, this meant it didnt really balance anything and we were stuck with the front doing all the work. Suppose thats better than just the rears.

The most frustrating problem was that when revving over 5k the clutch pedal would get lost and I would have to pump it to get it to disengage. not too much of an issue on long straights where I had the chance to think about it, however in short bursts i struggled changing down the gears.

By the time it got to night time I was much more at home in the car, howeverwhilst in the queue for stage stage when it was pouring with rain, the wiper linkage decided it would pop off the arm on the motor, i managed to put it back on and we started the stage, but by the first corner it popped of again and we had to continue with zero visibility. we still managed to catch a car on stage so didnt effect the satge times too horrifically! On the final evening stage (the longest of them all) we came through an artificially tightened hairpin down a narrow hill which had 3 1 ton bags of gravel on the outside. as it was the thrird time through i got cocky and went it too fast and jabbed the handbrake. we were greeted by a large thud when one of the gravel bags hit the rear quarter. Another thing to add to the list of things to do. we finished friday lying in 37th place (would have been 35th but we had a minute penalty for arriving early in service.

We started early saturday morning on and opted to stay on the hankook wets for the first couple of stages as they were still very slippy , half way through the day the rears were going off badly as it had dried up more or less completely. we changed to mediums on the rear and kept the wets on the front, this helped a lot.

by this point i was driving round the clutch and brake issues. the rest of the day was more or less uneventful , we kept it steady a tightened the shafts each service. on long right handers the car was filling with smoke as the rear arch rubbed the tyre so had to take it easy to avoid a blowout.

we finished the event at 6pm saturday 26th overall. Much to our surprise only 36 cars finished!

Overall very happy. considering the lack of testing and the fact this isnt an easy event at all we were over the moon.

plenty I want to change on the car over the winter but nothing fundamental. first thing will be having the rear wing repaired and a nice rest from working on the car for a couple of months!
martine30rally
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby martine30rally » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Couple of photos courtesy of JJ Gallagher Image
martine30rally
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

PreviousNext

Return to Cars