Daishag's M3 Powered E36 Compact

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: Daishag's M3 Powered E36 Compact

Postby mef » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 am

Chris,

Wayne didn't make a printout, presumably because we couldn't get a proper power run. The power went up steadily like your graph but peaked much earlier at 250bhp then rounded off, wend down a bit then up a bit, then level before he backed off. Wayne was convinced it was wheel slip on his rollers, said he'd seen this before. We had moulded slicks on the car which were melting on the surface, they've gone a strange blue colour and it seems that lots of tar has come to the surface of the tyre! We tried a second pair of harder compound RS5's but the same happened, in fact one tyre was smoking real bad and since I've got back home I found that the inside edge has completely delaminated, big chunks of rubber have fallen out of the tyre and it's ruined!

I should have taken it on road tyres but they wern't on rims and I'd run out of time to get them fitted, I didn't realise it was necessary, I thought the moulded slicks would have been fine.

I'll have to have a word with Alan at DTA and see if I can get my car back on his chassis dyno and do a power run on there to see whats really happening.

Dave,

It wasn't that I was unsure about the vanos actually working, In fact I know it was because you could see the relative advance degrees changing on the DTA software on the original engine. it's just that the BMW assembly information is so vague I wasn't completely convinced that I had it right this time, also I thought it was over complicated, something else to go wrong and maybe unnecessary with the 6 speed close ratio gearbox, anyway we'll see on saturday on the rally at Oulton Park. Since I run a DTA S80 which is totally compatible with the single vanos system I might well go back to it and get the most out of the engine.

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Daishag » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Right here's the print outs we got 1st print out is as the car was when we took it there, and graph's 2 - 5 were after Enda try'd various diffrent maps and settings etc

The 2nd printout and the 4th printout are both on a 10,000rpm scale where as the rest are on a 7500rpm scale but it will give you an idea of the power graph scale etc

Cheers Dave aka Daishag Rallying 07805835655
Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby ChrisRally » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Looks like the VANOS is OK then. Mine had a huge dip near the top until Wayne started tuning the VANOS in.
I assume you got to the bottom of the overfuelling ?
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby Daishag » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Chris,

I honestly don't know bud i havent had time to get her back to the Rollers and won't have time between now and the weekend, what i have done is as mentioned before fitted 2 x NEW Geniune Bosch Lambda Sensors, 1 x NEW Geniune BMW Fuel Pressure Reg & 1 x NEW Geniune Bosch MAF Sensor.

I have fitted a pressure gauge to the dry break fuel take off union and when running she was reading 74 psi, and when the throttle was blipped the reading went up to approx 78 - 80 psi and then straight back down, this only happened for a split second as you raised the revs but allways returned to 74psi even if you kept raising the revs so i take it thats the fuel pressure reg shutting as the vacum decreases in the inlet manifold and then the pressure raises thus the reg opens when the pressure raises above 5 Bar, the gauge i have is only a cheap one and i don't know how accurate but its fairly close to 5 Bar at them readings.

But as i said she maybe still overfueling but i havent had chance to get her back to the rollers and see if thats cured it or if there is still an underlaying problem etc

Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Daishag » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:06 am

Well after last weekends result i can honestly say im in awe at what these little BM's are capable of !!!!!! i can't honestly say though weather the flat spot under 3500rpm has been rectified as i hinestly think she is pulling just as well as she was at Ty Croes a couple of months ago ...... BUT what i can say is what i have done to the brakes on the car has transformed her !!!!!!

I really can't believe the diffrence it could make by changing the rear brake pad and thus the compound and also ditching the servo could make !!!!!! The car is a diffrent animal into the chicanes and thus where i honestly thought i made a lot of time up on Sat !!!!! The brakes are so much more predictable and have a 110% better feel to the pedal if it be heavier thats a trade off i can live with for the benifits !!!!!!!

Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby sg_frost » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm running a newish Megane on the rollers on Tuesday night if you want to come down to do a quick run, he's coming down for about 4ish.
Could be worse, It could be my car with a problem!
sg_frost
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Garry.M » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:18 pm

You even managed to get a picture of the Bmw in Motorsport News!
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Daishag » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:58 pm

YER JOKING !!!!!!!! Havent seen this weeks MN so will have to get out there and buy one !!!!!! That will be the 1st time in god knows how long !!!!!!

Cheers for the heads up !!!!!!

Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Garry.M » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:30 pm

It's at the rear of MN,,, in among "readers wives",,,, oops readers letters ;-)
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Daishag » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 am

Hope it works but here's a quick link to the 1st in-car clip of the BM i have at Oulton Park on The Neil Howard Memorial Stages ......

http://www.facebook.com/DSRMotorsportWa ... =2&theater

Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Daishag » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 am

Heres the in-car of the last stage SS8 on The Neil Howard Memorial Stages @ Oulton Park, Cheers to Steve Clark (Car 11) who lent us his Go Pro Camera when his Evo Died

http://www.facebook.com/DSRMotorsportWa ... =2&theater

Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Great videos Dai, I can see where you gained time on me every stage, your car just keeps pulling with revs, mine just felt like it was all done at 5K but still revved to 7.5K with no gain in speed. The DTA chassis dyno test proved just that, max power was 234bhp at the wheels at 5500 then it just fell away!

Cheers,

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby patrick J bradley » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:40 am

iv been looking at these compacts for a rally car and notice most are used for track and airfield rallys. Is there many people having success with them on closed tarmac roads or forest rally
patrick J bradley

Previous

Return to Cars