1 Series (E87) Tarmac rally car build by Mefmotorsport

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: 1 Series (E87) Tarmac rally car build by Mefmotorsport

Postby is-si » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:56 pm

S14's have pegs on the flywheel iirc, but it looks like your on the front then, would these ring gear trigger wheels help? > http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d5.html
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:14 pm

Yes, mine is on the front of the crank. I have already looked at triggerwheels.com but I cant see anything that is suitable, One possibility would be something that would go on the inside of the flywheel maybe? I would prefer 60-2 but they dont seem to do one. I will persue the home made/adapted from the old one approach for now!

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Overthelimit » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:57 pm

I have always wondered if the trigger wheel was attached to the crank half or on the rubber mounted half. Once the rubber goes soft I guess it allows the timing to fluctuate a bit? Can you machine the crank and block to put an S54 type trigger in as previously suggested? It would be a bit of grief to do but its out of the way and trouble free when its done. I think Bruvs are right about the crank damper, The crank will probably break eventually without one. Or you may get other problems, Our M54 sheared the S52 twin oilpump rotor key within 1000 miles. It now has a VAC damper on it, so far all is well. I know the S50 crank is much stronger but it still needs a damper. Just my thoughts.
Overthelimit
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby mef » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Im not saying that I intend to do away with the crank damper, just that I would machine one up one from solid steel with the trigger wheel teeth around the outside just like the standard one and a similar weight. Here's the one that VAC Motorsports sell in USA: https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac--- ... p2814.aspx

Yes, thet damper and trigger wheel is the thick heavy part that is isolated from the crank by the rubber. Its bonded to another steel disc thats quite thin and attached to the crankshaft.

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Garry.M » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Serious costs attached to that Vac pulley!
,, I often wonder how the std s54 can rev so high without issues?
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby mef » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Well one reason is probably that the damper is likely to be around 10 years younger than any S50B30 one !
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Garry.M » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:00 pm

What I mean is the Internet is full of the harmonic issues with a straight 6,,,, and don't rev the 2.8 over 7k because the oil pump nuts come off etc,,, yet an s54 can go to 8+?
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby mef » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:20 am

I see what you're getting at Garry, one thing I noticed was that the S50B30 crank is considerably heavier than the S54 item which seems to have had a lot of detailed machining work done to it as standard. Of course its probably that plus the much better valve train design that allows it to rev so much more than the S50B30/32 engine. I still see comments about the oil pump nut coming undone on the S54 too although I havnt had this problem myself so far.

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:31 pm

My new engine seems to make a "clacking" noise on light throttle around 2500rpm, it goes away under load.

The consensus was that it was probably piston slap. But It doesnt go away when it gets hot and also doesnt seem to get any worse .... I put it to the back of my mind and ignored it!

Then recently I was thinking back to when I built it up, I noticed a mark on the EVO oil pump front pickup pipe/casting where the timimg chain had been slapping against it. I replaced the worn tensioner but not the chain, maybe I should have replaced the chain as I remeber that when I fitted it the new tensioner didnt improve the tension, it still seemed quite slack....

Anyway I took the front timing cover off this weekend and I could see that the chain has definetely been slapping against the pickup pipe casting and has cut quite a big groove into it, the chain has to move a good 10mm to have done this, maybe this is the cause of the "clacking" noise ? Maybe the chain has stretched loads, its very slack. I'll order up a replacement.

I'm struggling to get a decent picture of it at present.

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby is-si » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:49 pm

oil pump chain tensioner: have you used s50 or s54 parts?
I had both to choose from both parts, they look the same but iirc the flat steel springs are different.
Is this spring installed correctly?
Just a thought :!:
J.
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 pm

I used the correct S54 parts, I cant see how you could install the spring incorrectly. I did notice that due to the length of the pad on the tensioner there is a limit to how far it can actually push on the chain between the sprockets and create tension, once its on its full limit, which it is, it cant take up any more slack, its impossible. So in this case it leaves the chain quite slack.

new chain ordered and will be available to collect from the dealer in Warrington tomorrow morning.

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Overthelimit » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:36 pm

I was interested to see that you have an s54 based motor. Would you care to tell us more about it?
Overthelimit
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby mef » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Overthelimit wrote:I was interested to see that you have an s54 based motor. Would you care to tell us more about it?

I will do once ive sorted out a few gremlins etc.....

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Here's a pic of the mark on the front pick up pipe casting where the chain has been defelecting against it. This is the side of the chain that should be tight but its moving at least 10mm to hit the casting, looks like it's stretched beyond the limits and the tensioner is on max, unable to trake out any more slack!

mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby is-si » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Martin, any progress on this?
I'm struggling to see how the chain could stretch so much and show no serious wear to the sprockets?
its very odd!
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Cars