compact raod rally

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: compact raod rally

Postby compact119 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:57 am

haha well i think that them proton's have 1 big prob with them ! Its called fwd (says him thats building a 106 stage car lol) haha. Hopeing that it will be ready 4 the telford novis rally
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby rearwheelsteercompact » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:49 pm

compact119 wrote:haha well i think that them proton's have 1 big prob with them ! Its called fwd (says him thats building a 106 stage car lol) haha. Hopeing that it will be ready 4 the telford novis rally

I had a 106 cup car and boy did I get some stick off the forum tough guys :wink:

Look here :roll: http://www.bmw-rallying.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=985
rearwheelsteercompact
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby compact119 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:17 pm

well after a weekend off working on my compact (up at otterburn) i have managed to get a fair bit done today, i have got my front mounting bar sorted for the sumpgaurd courtosy of Mr hockly. Quite pleased with the result i was unable to finnish the rear mount as i need to more material i should be able to sort that in the week :D

next job is some sort of tank gaurd and to fit my 4.4 ratio CWP, then its diet time as the compact is a little lardy :mrgreen:
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby bruvs1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:35 pm

nice photo's, good job fella. :wink:
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby M3 Compact » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Nice one, thanks for posting the pics. 8)

I'm interested in the brace across the top of the sumpguard front mount, it's otherwise very similar to mine. (Mine's mounted to a threaded plate welded to the chassis rails.)

We considered the brace design and decided against, on the grounds that (hopefully) the chassis rails shouldn't move too much at the front. (Everything that counts is fastened to the x-member, or further back.)

Also, my mounting sits below the radiator and bracing it would have been inconvenient.

Sunbmw made a substantial brace (cow fender :mrgreen:) for the front of the chassis rails on my current car and I discarded it...

What's the forum feeling about bracing the front of the chassis rails? :?: (In excess of a non-'triangulated' sump guard mounting.)
M3 Compact
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby compact119 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:55 am

believe it or not being a road rally car the gaurd will probly take more hammer than a stage car, i thought about making the hole front mounting bar removeable but i just thought i was adding more week points in the design. i have the added bonus of haveing free access to a jig and jig brackets for that car so if it did move the jegs up which is probbly going to happen, il take it for a ride on the jig :D. also i am not mounting it solid at the back of the gaurd, leaving the back of gaurd floating will allow the alloy to return to its propper shape after a impact. An issue that i have seen with a few road rally cars, they mount then that solid that instead of the alloy bending and flexing back it gets stretched as there is not enough movement to compensate for this, making it harder to remove and just dosnt last as long

i hope all of that made sence as it is early on a sunday morning haha
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby compact119 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:22 pm

hi all managed to get a morning working on the car and got the rear diff ratio changed to a 4.4 :D megga happy with the result

also wile all that lot was out the way i though i would make a tunnel/cut out in the rear beam so that when i finish off my exhaust it can be tooked up and not knock and bang. pritty happy with the results :D

still trying to make my mind up about that tank gaurd ????? hockly or make my own hhhmmmmmmm. also has a thought of triangulating the front of the chassi leg to that strut top, anyone got any thoughts on this ??
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby compact119 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:00 pm

well i havent updated for a wile as i've not really had a lot to time to do a lot on the car. Although i have done my first event in it well kind of, i was cheif marshal on the AB motorsport road rally so i was first car on the road. had a blast few little things have been high lighted, but best of all i have proved a point that its quicker that them bloody protons and for less money haha. i have come to the conclusion that it needs more power and a hydrolic bar putting it, thinking of the 2.1 conversion maybe on the cards aswell as putting the lines in the car. then i spose i should think about putting a cage in it hhhmmmmmmm :roll:

it was great to get out in it for a good skid round :twisted:
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby avtovaz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:32 pm

I bought some 10mm fiber flass guards off magnum motorsport, i dont know if they made a mold off my tank or not to just make you one...

£80...

Car looks good mate, so, just to recap, you welded the front sump guard mount to the chassie???
Россия лучше всех
факт
ENDA BMW tuning
avtovaz
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby compact119 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:47 am

yes mate the front of the garud is mounted solidly to the chassi legs and the back of the garud is on like a hanger, to allow the garud 2 flex rather then just bend ;p worked well just needs a few tweeks to the rear hanger and jobs a fish ;D
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby avtovaz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:18 pm

doy uo have any good pics of the rear hanger, i have to make one for mine...
Россия лучше всех
факт
ENDA BMW tuning
avtovaz
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby compact119 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:22 pm

i am curently remaking a revised version i shall take some piccy's of it 2moz, i have borrowed the idea from hhms. its how they mount it on there protons and they NEVER deforme
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby compact119 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:23 pm

thats my revised bar, am pritty sure itl be upto the job :D the mk1 bar was made out of tube wereas this is bar :evil:
the below pic is the mk1 bar bu gives you an idea of what its like on the car, i only finished the mk2 bar today in my lunch brake so its not on the car yet

hope this helps
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby avtovaz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:47 pm

thanks mate that helps loads, ill do something along those lines too!!! ;)))))))))))))))
Россия лучше всех
факт
ENDA BMW tuning
avtovaz
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby compact119 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:39 am

i can do another mounting bar for you if you like? just thinking it would be easyer to copy mine rather than making one from scratch
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

PreviousNext

Return to Cars