compact raod rally

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: compact raod rally

Postby compact119 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:48 pm

well iv had a good day on the compact today, manifold off and welded and back on and a z3 rack thrown in for good messure

a fair sized crack i would say, it seem also that its now got rid of my anoying flat spot too.
i welded around the inside were the crack is and around each header at the flang to avoid this again

i must say that the z3 dosent really seem much diffrent maybe its just me or has anyone else thought this ??

picking up a M44 engine tomorow to start a 2l conversion, desided against the 2.1l conversion (using s50 pistons) iam going to stick with the m44 pistons(saves on boring the block and just genrally keep the cost down a lil :D
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby compact119 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:24 pm

fitted an upright lever and and biast valve to the compact, but as a lot of ppl seem to find they are a compleate C#@T to bleed. i have tried every which way i can think off with still no joy. any sugestions would be welcomed ?? I now know why the get nicknamed the Bas@~*d leaver lol
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby alan1272 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:55 pm

didn't have a bias valve in mine but still had some problems bleeding. found it best to pipe bleed it at the handbrake cyl then bleed the rears. apparently pressure bleeding kits are quite handy for doing it but i didn't use one. just keep persevering :wink:
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby compact119 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:46 pm

ive tried all of the above lol i have never ever had problems bleeding brakes before, it seems that most ppl struggle when putting in a h/b master cylinder. A friend of mine had a simlar prob and between him leving the car from one weekend to next it had sorted it self out haha. might try the pressure bleeder again tomorow
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby rearwheelsteercompact » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Try jacking the back end up so that the bleed nipple is the highest point in the brake system. I've heard sometimes it works.

Best of luck matey :wink:
rearwheelsteercompact
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby compact119 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:12 pm

just to comfirm that a girling 625 is the correct size to use, or do compacts/bmw need a larger cylinder ?

ive been told to try jacking the front end up or taking the calipers off and turning them upsidedown dont quite see how that will work but il try anything
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby alan1272 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:19 pm

i use a 625 cylinder, works ok for me. i always try to get the end of the car i'm bleeding on ramps so it's nice and high, might be worth a go. letting it settle for a day or two coulnd't hurt either.
alan1272
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby compact119 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:18 pm

i think that will be my plan on attack for tomorow

also i finally found a lsd that isnt over priced just need to get a good ratio for it and maybe do the atlas conversion what do you guys think ? worth it or not ?
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Bows » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:15 am

The atlas conversion will totally transform your car!! I've had mine done and what a difference, no more letting go mid donut etc like I used to get with my standars lsd. It really is well worth the effort.
Good luck with it.
Bows

Postby compact119 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Bows wrote:The atlas conversion will totally transform your car!! I've had mine done and what a difference, no more letting go mid donut etc like I used to get with my standars lsd. It really is well worth the effort.
Good luck with it.

thanks for that bows its deffinetly somthing that i'am going to do and do right, on the look out for a 4.4 cwp and then onto the atles kit for some big skids :mrgreen:
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby compact119 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:53 pm

attemted a 12 car last nite but no1 made it to the first time control due to the snow haha but had a good go at getting there, catching two cars before getting to the hill that stopped it all. haha 100mph+ in the snow was a lil interesting to say the least but if the nav says its flat for a 1000 yards its rude not to press on :twisted:

handbrake all sorted now too very differant to using one in a fwd car lol keep over doing it resulting in a full 360 haha
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby compact119 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:41 pm

now in the for sale section as i am just too busy with other things, mainly helping GASHO with his rallying and rebuilding a proton gti road rally car for a friend and try to get out on my bike haha and for good messure my lad is getting into kartting
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby rearwheelsteercompact » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Just read your build thread again Jon. Very enjoyable - with plenty of info and photo's.

What happened to the car in the end?
rearwheelsteercompact
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby compact119 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:10 pm

its still sat in my garage awaiting its fait, as no interest has been shown (not really suprised) i have desided to see what develops with theres special test events that mainly allow classic's to compete but there are more and more that are alowing moden cars to compete along side in a separate class. If that dosent look like it will take off much then itl stay there getting bits done when and have a bit of time and aim towards it being a tarmac car, doing a few events a year. I have loads of ideas and things i wonna try with it and directions to go, so time will tell :D

i dont seem to get time to work on the car as weekend's and filled with eith looking after other ppl's rally cars which it mint as it dosnt cost me anything and trying to get out on my MTB
I beg to diff-her
compact119
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby rearwheelsteercompact » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:17 pm

It'll not come to much harm sat there - and as you say you can decide at your leisure what to do with it.

MTB's are dangerous :shock: but only when you come of them!!
rearwheelsteercompact
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Cars