bruvsmotorworks compact build

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: bruvsmotorworks compact build

Postby mef » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:48 pm

= no Pokerstars I assume? Or do you still have the old car?

I saw the pictures, looks terminal, what do you intend doing, same engine or something else? alternative gearbox or selector mechanism or what?

:(

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby bruvs1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Going for a watch now, :-/ going to strip the bottom end on Saturday and hold off a decision till after that, got options but would really like to keep the lighter engine as handling isn't far away now, gearbox needs looking at too, not sure what the answer to that one is.!!
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby rearwheelsteercompact » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Bummer - tough break fellas :(
rearwheelsteercompact
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby is-si » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:43 pm

Yes we'd made some good ground with the set-up and was in 7th, it looks like the `buzz' fractured an inlet valve, a mile later it fell into the pot at high revs, it quickly made crumbs of the entire piston and blew it out of the throttle body filling the air box, jamming the throttle open. The conrod was then free to smash the liner through the block. When we ground to a halt, fortunately over the time control we lifted the bonnet to be greeted by smoke, a big end bearing and a valve head (I'm not kidding :lol: ). Carnage didn't stop there as apparently a car then crashed on our oil trail.

. . .Anyway:
Need to see whats going on with this gearbox before we remove the block, I want to see if its a linkage issue or internal.
Also want to see how this engine has been coping internally, as the timing gear and cranks aren't upto the same spec as `S' engines. (Although I aint knocking the capabilities if the M54, after the last tune it was pretty sweet)
Thoughts this week:
s50b32 `instant' head v's hrs spent on m52/54 head
s50 fat block v's m52/54 light block (min 40kg saving)

Piston through the butterflies>

hole through cylinder liner, cavity and wall>

23 valve motor, valve also snapped under the retainer breaking the retainer in half>
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Yes, the previously very nice 1400cc class winning Nova of David & Alistair Oram hit the oil on the track and had a big off into the tyre barrier just after the back bend. The car is very seriously damaged, they've pulled their Oulton park entry, it might need shelling, they wern't impressed! they posted a video on facebook, it hit the tyre barrier very hard : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUT1y7D53C8

Thats rallying!
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Adam Gardner » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:15 am

unlucky lads, thats bad news. It does make you wonder about the quality of the valve gear etc as its usually rod bolts and big end failures from brief buzzing in my experience.
Looks like it done a proper job on it for you, I would guess that most of the value in the engine is in the cams and engineering costs, maybe best to replicate the engine you have now just with a few tweeks?
I have got a real urge for a samsonas gearbox, and after taking to the 'man' himself at the autosport i reckon they should be up to the job nicely.
Adam Gardner
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby bruvs1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:05 am

All possibilities Adam, wish we knew someone with experience of owning/ using the samsonas. Shame about the lad in the nova, unfortunately somewhere as small as Wigan where you ask everything of your tyres, when you have a moment it's a biggy! In alisters case a substance on the track didn't help! Best wishes to him with the return..
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Now thats a mess :cry:

Hope your not going to go M3 on us :wink:
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Garry.M » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:11 pm

^^Hahhahahaha!
Garry.M
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby bruvs1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Probably not Tom ;-)
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby is-si » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:39 pm

After a few painkillers on Friday night we took the the m54 out and broke it down, upon removal we found the gudgeon pin behind the front headlight and then realised the bearing was out of the small end, as it was mangled it look similar to a big end (metal backed) :roll:
Surprisingly there was no evidence of piston to valve contact, looking at the bust parts I now reckon the `buzz' fractured/weakened the spring retainer. A few more 7000's and it broke in half dropping the valve into the pot, then to be broken up snapping at its thinnest points (collets and waist). I used schrick springs and the catalog seemed to imply these were ok with OE m42/m50 valve caps, as they didn't spec an uprated part. I did however do a hardness test on the OE retainer and the results confirmed they were pretty good quality. Having an internet surf based on this outcome revealed quite a history of valve failures after a bad gear changes. Sounds like we need better valve gear :idea:

heres the block>

and the ed>

looking at the manifold flanges we knocked up it'd be a shame not to fit it to another 8) .

So we are now currently looking for another M54/M52TUB twin vanos engine 2.5/2.8/3.0 W.H.Y!
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby GAJ1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Probably no good to you but you are welcome to the old 2.8 that's in the yard at the moment. Never even took the head off it after the gasket went at Oulton Park
GAJ1
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby is-si » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks for the offer George, I think bro' has collected a replacement dual vanos motor & box this'avvy 8)
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby bruvs1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:57 am

Oh well back on with rebuilding, Options aside (even considered the iron lung s50) we have decided to carry on re-inventing the wheel with the m54b30 engine, bought a 2.8 m52tu also for spares and 3.0 short motor, john has been opening up the ports on the head, just need to make a decision on the make of valves to use. Also gone for some h beam rods and custom made pistons from america, raising compression. Cams will be similar profile from blanks sourced in turkey! Just waitng on a few key items and then we can hopfully get underway with the rebuild, and back on track! Literally !
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby is-si » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Now built with a non-vanos S54 & 5-speed ZF Samsonas dog-box 8)

Some footage on the Flanders FIRC round Wervik rally last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_k3LXAhIkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kptCDjJA1DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxOVN7wxah4

Still got to improve the filming, everything is work in progress!
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Cars