M3 Rally Car

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

M3 Rally Car

Postby ChrisRally » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:51 pm

Sold the Sunbed a couple of months ago, but didn't get too enthusiastic about getting the beemer, then marshalled at Fat Albert (Start lights) and after watching 600 cars take off, thought "bugger this".
Saturday night Trader hunting, one thing leads to another and by Sunday evening I have found an M3 in Glasgow, a mere 450 miles away.
Went up next Thursday on the sleeper, absolutely hissing down when I got there on Friday so quick look around, a squirt up the road (Including Roundabout fun, much to the very petite Scottish girl that I bought it off concern), and drove home.
It seems to have had Oil changes every 5000 miles by last two owners, so engine HOPEFULLY OK. Bodywork not perfect, but after the first few bales who will spot the difference.

Only problem now is that it has a BMW alarm, which started playing up last night, and now if the ignition is switched off the hazards flash. Spent most of the evening removing miles of wiring. The alarm still operates and the bloody hazards keep going :evil:

After the weekend it's time to start stripping, the car, and get welding.

In terms of Cages, I seem to remember a discussion on here somewhere, but to save me wading through - any thoughts anyone ?. I was tending towards Custom Cages, but there is a company called Caged in Frome who make bespoke I think. Frome is only down the road. No idea about here cost mind.

I will keep you all informed on progress. Someone else with an M3 coupe can probably expect to see some of his designs appearing again. :)
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby avtovaz » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:59 pm

top buy my mate, that should be a lot of fun ;)

totally the other end of the scale to my 1600 compact !!! LOL!

Keep us updated!
avtovaz
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:18 pm

Good news 8) and good to see another southerner - I'm spending all day tomorrow in Wiltshire. Are you going to stick with the banana paint job?
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Sunbmw » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:54 pm

Idea thief wrote:Someone else with an M3 coupe can probably expect to see some of his designs appearing again

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice by the way sir, If you are confident of your abilities, go for a Custom cages cage, be just shy of a grand all in.

I have heard of "Caged", but not sure wether there stuff will be FIA approved, not that that matters for National rallies, but you never know, if you wanted to pop over to do Montenberg or somat, the car does need to be right.
No longer a BMW Rallyist, but please don't kick me out........ :( :(

http://www.m3spares.com

http://www.ultimateid.co.uk
Sunbmw
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby M3 Compact » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:47 am

Nice 0ne Chris. :P 8)

Do you know the original reg?

My bro had a Dakar yellow S reg M3 Evo Coupe that he P/X'd at the Porsche dealer in Glasgow - there aren't hundreds of them about in yellow. (S275 *AF IIRC)

Edit: Is it a 3.0L M3 in the nicer yellow? :?:
M3 Compact
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby m3heaven » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Clear lights suggest evo, but the spoiler with the BMW Motorsport inscription gives the game away

Nice looking car.
m3heaven
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby ChrisRally » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks to all for the positive posts.

Car will have to stay banana - I was going to try Geest for Sponsorship :lol: Actually the Sunbed was yellow, which I hated at first, and then grew used to. At Fatal Bert everyone was amazed I had sold the yellow Sunbeam, not just the Sunbeam.

The reg has changed a few times. I think it started life in Truro, then Aberdeen then Glasgow where it has been for the last 6 or 7 years. There is one piece of ownership I can't decipher from the stamps/MOTs etc. Possibly Edinburgh. No matter, 5 carefull owners and one rally driver.

Current Reg M303 xxx came with it, before that it was M3 KEU, before that RGE 9W.

It is a 3.0L in Dakar yellow.

Tonights job remove that alarm and stop those sodding hazards.

Forgot to add, one down side - it has a sunroof. Nothing an angle grinder and welder can't fix, just a nuisance.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby m3heaven » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Forum electrical Wizard ian332isport may be able to offer advice regarding the alarm.
m3heaven
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby ChrisRally » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Alarm sorted. Now a large pile of wires on a shelf, and no more hazards. Car starts, and will be given a quick thrashing around W-S-M airfield on saturday before being taken to small pieces.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby m3heaven » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:37 pm

m3heaven wrote:Clear lights suggest evo, but the spoiler with the BMW Motorsport inscription gives the game away

Nice looking car.

Actually, some evo's had the spoiler with the motorsport inscription :oops:
m3heaven
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Tris-m3 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:13 pm

m3heaven wrote:
m3heaven wrote:Clear lights suggest evo, but the spoiler with the BMW Motorsport inscription gives the game away

Nice looking car.

Actually, some evo's had the spoiler with the motorsport inscription :oops:

Enter forum e36 m3 geek :D

The side idicators are pre facelift which gives it away completely :oops:
Tris-m3
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby ChrisRally » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Took it for a quick thrash around W-S-M airfield today. Fantastic. Nicely balanced, way less tail happy than I was thinking, and certainly way less than the E30 I tried a while back.
Wifey(AKA Navvy) had a go in it at the end of her lesson. More than once I thought "this isn't going to work", but every time the car turned / stopped. I'm sure those of you who have driven these things know this, but, do something rude to me that thing accelerates fast. On short straights brain had barely registered leaving one corner when hands were turning into the next.

Can't wait to get it fully sorted now and on stage. One thing I did confirm, it rides too low. 4 times I smacked the bottom - on speed bumps driving there.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby M3 Compact » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:18 pm

Tris-m3 wrote:
The side idicators are pre facelift which gives it away completely :oops:

I realised that after I posted. :oops:

No way I'd admit that publicly, tho. :wink:

Glad you're enjoying it Chris. :P :lol:

The spread of torque is phenomenal - IIRC (the anoraks will confirm) you've got a 3.25 diff in there. :?:

Fitting the 4.45 CWP obviously makes it accelerate even faster :P , but the difference is slightly less pronounced than it usually is with an engine that doesn't have the fat torque spread of the S50.

They're an incredible engine for a road car, staggering driveability for a naturally aspirated engine that produces 100 BHP/litre. 8)
M3 Compact
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby m3heaven » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:10 am

The spread of torque is phenomenal - IIRC (the anoraks will confirm) you've got a 3.25 diff in there.

3.15:1 medium case.

Some evos were made before the face lift, hence did come with the pre facelift wings and front panel. :wink:
m3heaven
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby M3 Compact » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:45 am

m3heaven wrote:
The spread of torque is phenomenal - IIRC (the anoraks will confirm) you've got a 3.25 diff in there.

3.15:1 medium case.

Some evos were made before the face lift, hence did come with the pre facelift wings and front panel. :wink:

And alloy doors? :P

3.25 diff in Evo?
M3 Compact
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cars