M3 Rally Car

Members' cars information, spec & pics

Moderator: is-si

Re: M3 Rally Car

Postby ChrisRally » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Just thought it was time I did an update.

Cage is all in and finished.

Suspension that came from a well known M3 parts dealer were sent to William Stein for a softening (on full soft setting with all your body weight they moved about 3mm) then sent them back again for longer stroke on the fronts. The front springs needed carefull sizing because of a slightly reduced travel on these struts. The secondary springs are 1200 lbs, they look like they came off a railway carriage. Replaced all bushes with Powerflex items, just before the factory burnt down. There is a myth that Black Powerflex bushes are the ones to have, but a long email from Powerflex dismisses this and we have the normal purple ones are correct.

Fuel tank was custom made and fits between the rear wheel arches, and still retains the spare wheel well. Left the battery where it was and made a nice cover out of aluminium treadplate, but found out that it hit the screw on the terminals (We did put a piece of thin ply as insulation between battery and aluminium). Couple of spacers and all is well.

We made a replacement for the bit of pressed tin between the front chassis legs. It was made from unequal angle and after some cutting and welding the mounts for the bumper even fitted. We also used it to mount the oil cooler and sump guard mounting point.

We needed a centre console of some kind to put a couple of gauges, so because we could, we made it from carbon. Reasonably happy with the finished item, though I think we could do better next time.

Spent some time understanding the wiring, and then cutting it apart and making lots of new bits. Since the fuse box will not go back where it came from I bought an aftermarket fuse box and made everything from there. To solve the joining wires and getting through the bulkhead issue we used ITT 26 pin connectors. We used the area above the passenger footwell where an ECU used to live. This is OK, but makes removing them a little tricky. We should maybe have done something slightly different, but then they shouldn't come on and off very often. Next major £ article is the ECU. As previously mentioned we will use a DTA S80 which works OK with the Vanos.

When we fitted the wiper it worked OK but there was an alarming clunk as it operated and the mounting plate was flexing alarmingly. Clearly it was hitting the cage. Unfortunately it is very difficult to see what was hitting so we managed to stop it when it was hitting and removed the whole wiper assembly. Some judicious grinding and use of a marker pen as a tell tale, and much installing/removing of wiper assembly and it works now.

The heater blower assembly works, surprisingly as it was hit by a falling welding gas cylinder. Said cylinder hit motorbike first which broke it's fall, and the motorbike.

Had more aggravation than is neccessary with the pull cable for the electric cut out. The bit that I thought would be simple, putting the cable in and pulling it, failed at the pulling it stage. I pushed the inner through the outer once it had been put into place, so no significant resistance, then once the inner was connected gave it a test pull. There was significant resistance, but the switch operates OK, and I knew the inner was free, as I had pushed it through. So gave it a decent pull and there was movement, but the switch didn't move. The inner was now too long, as though it had streched, so I re-adjusted the cable and gave it another good tug. This time the switch did operate, but the outer had moved quite some way into the solid part near the pull, essentially the cable is wrecked. Playing with the other cables they are free to move with nothing on the end, but if someone holds the far end the cable becomes hard to pull. Think I need some different cables. don't suppose any else has had this problem ? There is no significant bends beyond the normal routing.

The usual aggravation with other things, such as the purpose made mounts for the front brakes being significantly wrong (The disc touched one side of the caliper), losing one circlip off the hyd handbrake which appears to be a bizarre size that I cannot find.

Have to decide how to mount two throttle cables to the throttle bodies. There is quite a change in angle between the cable and mechanism from no throttle to full throttle so need a quadrant or rotating connector.

Anyway, that's enough rambling. Next update should be sooner than this one.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby ChrisRally » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Car has been up to Wayne's for an eventfull 2 days. Day 1 after a couple of hours of general mapping Wayne started to play with the VANOS, only it would only go full advance and then not retard. We checked the wiring, as BMW helpfully colour coded both Top and Bottom Cam Solenoids with the same colour, but that made no difference. So we disconnected the signals from the ECU and started the engine, then shorted each wire to earth and the cam moved as required. Wayne then got a scope on the signals to the Vanos and one was permanently grounded, no matter what happened in the ECU. We continued to mess about for a while, ie some Hours, until Wayne tried a different map file and everything suddenly worked. :D We assume it was some corruption with the file as all settings appeared to be the same in both files.
Anyway we started mapping again around 6:00 PM and had a good couple of hours, then Wayne did a full power run and I thought I saw a puff of smoke from the front, had a look around but nothing obvious and it didn't appear to do it again. I went out for a minute and while I was out Wayne shut the engine down as the next power run produced a large cloud of smoke. Looking under the car revealed a LARGE puddle of oil, emminating from the Oil Cooler. We gave it a quick clean and then set the car idling to see where the leak was coming from when suddenly the Oil cooler let go completely and we covered the floor in even more oil :shock: . This was a brand new MOCAL cooler, correctly mounted on Rubber mounts, no stress on pipes etc. I think we were lucky it didn't do it on full power with the fans running.

Oil Puddle

Original Oil Cooler and mounting.
Next morning I did a quick run to Wrexham and then back to Rochdale and fitted the new cooler. A further 3 hours of mapping later and Wayne was happy with what we had.
Now need to fit a sump guard, windscreen and a few other minor things. If I can get it Log booked and MOTd in time I may come down to Bovington and have a day out with a few of you.

A few pics of it.

How I overcame the flappy window problem.

Just before heading off to Wayne's

Fuel Tank.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby is-si » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:45 pm

so what does a 3.0 litre pull on waynes rollers?
is-si
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Glad you finally got to the bottom of the problem, Wayne rang me during the mapping but I hadn't come across it with mine as I havn't got as far as connecting up the Vanos control sensors or solenoids as yet.

I heard from DTA that the problem was simply a box that was not ticked on the base map. Once Wayne ticked the relevant box the Vanos control worked perfectly. I can't remember what the particular setting was but apparently it was a setting that although wasn't relevant to the mapping, it did effect the Vanos control operation. I think it was "use PID loop" or something. I can't understand why it wasn't ticked as it is in my base map.

Yes, we'd all like to know the final results! (especially me!)

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby ChrisRally » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Ahh, the figure.

Sorry, just forgot.

312.6 FHP
267.1 WHP

Equals 45.5hp loss, or 14.5%

Enough power for serious grins for some time :lol:

I was with Wayne when he was speaking to you Martin. Whatever the issue was, no big deal really, especially compared to the Oil cooler.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby mef » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:09 am

ChrisRally wrote:Ahh, the figure.

Sorry, just forgot.

312.6 FHP
267.1 WHP

Equals 45.5hp loss, or 14.5%

Enough power for serious grins for some time :lol:

I was with Wayne when he was speaking to you Martin. Whatever the issue was, no big deal really, especially compared to the Oil cooler.

That's excellent and more than I was expecting, 267 @ wheels, magic, I can remember years ago when my mate had an RS2000 that was heavily modified and gave 130 @ wheels, that seemed to be fast, how things have come on!

Should be fun!

OK about the oil cooler, I've fitted the standard M3 one, why did you change to an aftermarket one, is the M3 one not up to it or what?

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby ChrisRally » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:49 am

The standard one was looking very second hand, no leaks, just looked like it was about to.

Hopefully the new new one is better.

New one is from JJC I think, it was what DT had available when I got there.

Interestingly Wayne said he had just had a new MOCAL one leak also, as did a friend who came into the workshop. At least their's only leaked around the fittings, mine appeared to be a core failure.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby ChrisRally » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:30 am

Someone was in touch for details of sump guard mounting, so I took a few photos last night, and here they are.

We made the guard quick removal using a couple of brackets that simply loop over the top of the rear of the X brace, and a pair of Lynch pins mounted at the front.

Lynch Pins at the front.

Rear mounts, they simply hook over.

When the power steering hose failed the car was liberally covered in hydraulic fluid which has discoloured everything. I need to degrease it all and repaint to make it look loved again.

Still covered in gravel from last event.

Hope that all helps. The front bracket arrangement is one of the photos above.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Previous

Return to Cars