Jersey rally experience?

Past event results & upcoming event information

Moderator: is-si

Jersey rally experience?

Postby notax » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:27 am

Hi all,

This year my local championship includes the Jersey Rally on 14/15th October. I imagine it will be hideously expensive to enter from the mainland, can anyone give any advice about the event? Cheers

Chris

PS I hope to be used to Zippy Mk2 by then...
Image
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Winchester

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby bruvs1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:36 am

Presume you bought the Hockley shell then?
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed
 
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: north west

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby notax » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:55 am

Yes, I did... Hopefully the right decision... time will tell. If not, it is entirely my own fault!

We haven't started work on it yet - unfortunately I lost my workshop and it's taken time to find somewhere else. Now have my own decent sized place - the plan was to share it (how I justified the cost using man maths) but I've got so much stuff that I've already filled it :oops:

Until I lost the workshop I had hoped the new car would be ready for the start of this season, now hoping it could be sorted in the spring. I have collected most of the parts I need to finish it, but there is a fair bit of fabrication required. I'll start a new thread for it... Cheers
Image
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Winchester

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby martine30rally » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:18 pm

The entry fee itself is higher than a Uk mainland event (approx £450) but its also a lot of driving for the money in my opinion with around 150 stage miles and the same in road miles spread over 1 and a half days - 12pm start friday and 5pm finish on the Saturday.

ferry costs are around 400 with a trailer and I would come over a week before to do a recce. Also bare in mind that services are very short in comparison to the UK, at around 10 to 15 minutes each and cumulative lateness of 15 minutes a day. If its dry then its very hard on the cars so a lot of people drop out due to mechanical issues which they cant get sorted within the service windows. There is a trophy rally run on the Saturday for people who go over on the friday which is useful.
martine30rally
BMW Mad
BMW Mad
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:19 pm

bruvs1 wrote:Presume you bought the Hockley shell then?


Not the one on ebay? If it is check the welding has been sorted out on the cage!
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby notax » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:49 pm

mrfuzzyfelts wrote:
bruvs1 wrote:Presume you bought the Hockley shell then?


Not the one on ebay? If it is check the welding has been sorted out on the cage!


No, it wasn't ever on Ebay, bought directly from Harry Hockley - have to say they were superb to deal with. Cage actually looks good, getting it brought up to 2016 standard on Thursday by adding the horizontal Hans bars...
Image
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Winchester

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby notax » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:52 pm

martine30rally wrote:The entry fee itself is higher than a Uk mainland event (approx £450) but its also a lot of driving for the money in my opinion with around 150 stage miles and the same in road miles spread over 1 and a half days - 12pm start friday and 5pm finish on the Saturday.

ferry costs are around 400 with a trailer and I would come over a week before to do a recce. Also bare in mind that services are very short in comparison to the UK, at around 10 to 15 minutes each and cumulative lateness of 15 minutes a day. If its dry then its very hard on the cars so a lot of people drop out due to mechanical issues which they cant get sorted within the service windows. There is a trophy rally run on the Saturday for people who go over on the friday which is useful.


Thanks, that's really helpful. I haven't yet tried a multi stage event, could be a steep learning curve. I guessed it would be pricey. I imagine also very tight with big penalties for cock ups...?
Image
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Winchester

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby martine30rally » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:16 pm

It's pretty tight compared to a single venue. Usually it's either a granite wall or a bank if you cock up - neither really move but one is usually nicer to the car that the other! Plenty of in-car videos on line which can give you a feel for the stages.
martine30rally
BMW Mad
BMW Mad
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby notax » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 pm

martine30rally wrote:It's pretty tight compared to a single venue. Usually it's either a granite wall or a bank if you cock up - neither really move but one is usually nicer to the car that the other! Plenty of in-car videos on line which can give you a feel for the stages.


Good idea, I'll have a peek and scare myself :lol:
Image
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Winchester

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:31 am

notax wrote:
mrfuzzyfelts wrote:
bruvs1 wrote:Presume you bought the Hockley shell then?


Not the one on ebay? If it is check the welding has been sorted out on the cage!


No, it wasn't ever on Ebay, bought directly from Harry Hockley - have to say they were superb to deal with. Cage actually looks good, getting it brought up to 2016 standard on Thursday by adding the horizontal Hans bars...



No there was one on ebay which originated from near me and I went to see it and they had welded the cage in and it was shocked... Not LHD so Defo not urs! 8)
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby notax » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:52 am

Glad to hear it, I have to say the shell on the new one really is mint - Hockley's fabrication seems excellent - I just hope their back end is too :lol:
Image
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Winchester

Re: Jersey rally experience?

Postby jerseypug » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:24 pm

https://youtu.be/uFSNgbH0I0A
this is the jersey rally. it not very forgiving but very rewarding if you finish, you will defiantly want to come back. there are special deals through the jersey motorcycle and light car club that get good rates at the merton hotel which is where most oversea competitors stay and where the presentation and party is
jerseypug
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:17 pm


Return to Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron