Woodbridge Stages - lasted two stages...

Past event results & upcoming event information

Moderator: is-si

Woodbridge Stages - lasted two stages...

Postby notax » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:09 am

Good news - my paddleshift worked very well. Bad news, the car died en route to stage 3. Real shame, the weather was shocking but we were going well and with the smallest field we've ever seen (54 starters) would have picked up a handy championship result if we could have kept going. We enjoyed the venue - although I could see virtually nothing by the end of the first stage as the screen misted over completely. It is one of the harder ones to co drive, a bit like a shorter Caerwent, with some wide sweeping sections followed by very narrow kerbs which caught a lot of drivers out - 20 cars failed to finish :shock:

The first car in class D was 20th overall out of 35... and it was the white E46 Compact previously owned by Martin who I haven't seen for years. The buyer wrote off his last car, a Chevette HSR, at Woodbridge last year...

Reason for our failure seems to be the high pressure fuel pump. We didn't have a spare a nor did anyone else. Not good after an 8 hour round trip and a costly overnight stay for the team. Thinking of fitting spare pumps - see techy section... At least we have a month to get it sorted before the next event at Down Ampney
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Re: Woodbridge Stages - lasted two stages...

Postby mef » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Sorry to hear of your fuel pump problem Chris, I dont often carry a spare one either, being in the tank its very difficult to change and no room to fit two inside the tank. Is yours external? if so where is it located? On mine the flow of fuel from the pump also recirculates the fuel from one side of the tank to the other, over the hump casued by the propshaft. Its a clever system done by vacuum I think, not sure how to get around this if I was to fit an external pump?

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Re: Woodbridge Stages - lasted two stages...

Postby notax » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks, I was gutted - never had a problem with it before since the car was built. I have a custom made ally tank with an external Facet lifter pump and high pressure pump. I also use a separate reservoir tank to prevent problems when cornering. Generally it works very well. The only problem I've had before was when the tank sprung a leak (costing us a finish at Abingdon last year) as the original car builder put the fuel tank directly on the boot floor...

Now looking at running two separate pumps - both lift and high pressure which I can switch between from the dash so the problem hopefully can't occur again...
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Return to Events