Bovington Stages

Past event results & upcoming event information

Moderator: is-si

Bovington Stages

Postby notax » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:34 pm

Well, we've finished the first day of the above rally in one piece! First time using a sequential - and I'd only manged about 4 miles on the road before the event so totally new to me. At present the Drenth box isn't talking to the ECU so I'm using the clutch on downshifts but not upshifts. Really, really enjoying it. The car has been transformed - and we are spending approx 3 secs in between each gear change which is keeping the car nicely in the power band. It really is quick 8)

The car is geared to do 130mph max and we are hitting this - however first is really a bit long (car does 48mph) and I have been trying to save the clutch and driveshafts by slowly driving from the line but it is bogging down and costing us time.

Only two cock ups today - I did the classic changing down into first when I meant to go up into third :oops: Car revved its tits off briefly but got away with it.

I also tried taking a wet hairpin without using the handbrake but I understeered into concrete barrel... just avoided contact, but couldn't find reverse (due to a slipped cable) Lost time for me and car behind but not too much.

Out of 71 starters we are currently 17th, which I'm happy with given I'm trying to take it easy - engine has just been fully rebuilt and learning sequential too. Track was wet but drying throughout the day - had half a turn of opposite lock when flat in 4th several times 8)

Thinking we'll up the rev limit tomorrow now the car has been run in. Just hope the weather improves as it is pissing down currently...

I think about 5 BMWs entered including a very standard looking E46 M3 which is running just ahead of us. I wonder whether he's playing by the rules and running a 3.0 like us :?:
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Re: Bovington Stages

Postby rearwheelsteercompact » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:33 pm

notax wrote: including a very standard looking E46 M3 which is running just ahead of us. I wonder whether he's playing by the rules and running a 3.0 like us :?:

Oh dear....................... Or perhaps he's just got more talent :!:
rearwheelsteercompact
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:58 am

rearwheelsteercompact wrote:
notax wrote: including a very standard looking E46 M3 which is running just ahead of us. I wonder whether he's playing by the rules and running a 3.0 like us :?:

Oh dear....................... Or perhaps he's just got more talent :!:

Well, maybe :lol:

He apparently has fitted a Shrick cammed full race motor - I didn't ask the size! He was reseeded one place ahead of us today but crashed out on the first stage on a very dodgy section. He was joined very soon afterwards by a front running Mk2 which rolled before flying into the woods backwards, stopping just 30ft from the E46 M3. Fortunately the M3 wasn't badly damaged. Same can't be said of the Mk2 - or even worse a Peugeot kit car that was horribly smashed up. No crews badly injured luckily.

Anyway, lets go back to the start of day two...

We arrived back at parc ferme with the promised dry weather looking decidedly wet! Even worse, we were met with a write off of our own. Yup, I had elected to keep our car under its Eze Up and the damn thing had taken off and been ripped to bits by the wind overnight :cry:

Anyway, we were soon out and decided to push a bit harder than on Saturday now that the engine was run in and I had got used to the sequential. The only really scary bit on the initial stages was running water across the track at the apex of a fourth/fifth gear left hander - this is what caught out the E46 and Mk2. My car (and most others apparently) understeered viciously on hitting the water, which then spat you pretty near concrete barriers - easy to get out of shape.

Car was going well and I gradually upped our pace. Only had one real moment in the whole day - I overcooked it through a 4th gear chicane and just got my back wheel off the road. Big slide, then tank slapper but just recovered it 8)

Superb venue and although my car is a bit long geared (hard to get off the line without bogging down) the 130mph top speed was very handy and reached in three places on most stages.

Initially seeded at 23rd against a pretty strong field, we started today at 17th and ended up 11th overall. Only two bits of damage - the freshly painted spoiler where Woody my ace mechanic caught it getting the car off the trailer - and a scratched roof where the Eze Up flew over the car! Biggest bill - buying a new Eze Up...

I love the sequential, even without flatshift it has transformed the car. Hope I get on as well with the paddleshift which we hope to have ready for our next event in 4 weeks...
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby bruvs1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:20 pm

good job, sounds like you need a lower diff though or the clutch wont last 5 mins! you can't gear for 2 straights, its the 30 corners where it's needed!! 4.8?
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:31 pm

Yes, I think you're right. Bit of a shame having spent rather a lot getting the diff rebuilt... May build up my Gripper diff with a 4.7 and switch them depending on the event...
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby M3 Compact » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Didn't you get a choice of ratios, Chris?
130 MPH sounds ideal, but 48 in first is maybe a tad long?
Are you on a 4.1:1 diff ATM?

All sounds very exciting tho. :P
M3 Compact
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby notax » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:17 pm

M3 Compact wrote:Didn't you get a choice of ratios, Chris?
130 MPH sounds ideal, but 48 in first is maybe a tad long?
Are you on a 4.1:1 diff ATM?

All sounds very exciting tho. :P

Hello! I have two diffs which are 4.1 but Drenth couldn't get close to offering a ratio that would work. I asked Drenth for a ratio that would give me a 130mph top speed and they calculated that a 4.45 would achieve that - which it has (as proven on the rolling road). First is very long at 48mph and I think the clutch will complain if I give it the full beans from a standing start. Even at 4k revs the engine bogs down a bit in first which costs us a little bit of time. Interestingly most, if not all, of the cars ahead of us by the end were running sequentials and a number of them bogged down off the line too. I tended to reach at least 120mph on every rally with the previous 5 speed box and 4.1 and thought that with the sequential I'd probably be wanting a top speed of 130mph. Drenth doesn't offer drop gears so I'm stuck with the current gearbox ratios, but am considering getting one diff rebuilt as a 4.7 (or 4.8 not sure which is available) In Europe Drenth usuallly recommend a 3.15 diff but this limits top speed to 115mph which would be a bit slow for us...

Paddle shift is the next project, hoping it will be ready for next event in a months time. Compressor, valve block and air tank already fitted, Shift tec paddle bought, now need to buy the actuator and throttle blipper. To fit the paddle we are cutting off the wiper stalk and have fitted separate toggle switches to the dash... Going to rewire the car for the third time whilst we are at it - engine loom already replaced by DTA system courtesy of Martin MEF...

Any news on your car... has Mr Fuzzy bought your number plate?
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby M3 Compact » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:03 pm

Sold my compact last year Chris and Fuzzy bought the plate from the new owner.

Is the 'inherently less robust' lower ratio CW&P not a concern for you with your modified M3 grunt?

Dunno what the Bruvs or others think (might be worth asking), but in view of what you've said, in your position I might consider changing to a 210mm CW&P diff if you're planning to venture lower than the 4.45:1.
The pinions get smaller when the ratios get shorter.

Are 188mm 4.7/5.1 etc available? Most of the motorsport ratios are 210mm aren't they?

What size is Jon Walsh's 5.1? (Avto.)

Good luck with it all, be great to read more updates. :D
M3 Compact
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bruvs1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:31 pm

Avtos 5.0 is a 188mm, all still available but good point simon as 210mm is the way forward.
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby notax » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks, I'll move the discussion to my car thread...
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Return to Events