Hello from Dorset

Introduce yourselves here.

Moderator: is-si

Hello from Dorset

Postby Ontheway » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:53 am

Hi there, my name's Jasper, I'm 19 and I'm the owner of a '99 323i coupe (M52) bought it to learn how to drift and have done a number of modifications toward that purpose. I've never seen the appeal of competing at drifting, if you need a judge it's a past time not a sport. I've not had much proper experience of actual drifting but ice definitely learned a lot about Fast road driving in a rear drive chassis.

That brings me here, I've always liked the idea of rallying and a day after I bought the E36 (my first RWD car) I was out and about on some local farm tracks learning how to control a slide etc. gravel is most certainly my favourite surface to drive on both FWD and RWD - my last car was a Renaultsport Clio 182 cup and it did see a couple of visits to the local tracks!

I'm currently looking into what forms of rallying I can enter with essentially a stripped road car with FIA seats and harnesses, no cage and slightly upgraded suspension and an extremely limited slip diff haha
Ontheway

Re: Hello from Dorset

Postby Ontheway » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:37 am

As internet users we all know threads are useless without pictures:

e36 by ontheway999, on Flickr

image (1) by ontheway999, on Flickr
Ontheway

Postby GAJ1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:52 am

Hi There

To try and answer some of your questions, to go into stage rallying and in particular, forest events you will need a cage in the car. A basic 6 point bolt in cage will cost around £650 going up for multi point weld in cages or you can have one made but it will need to be certified that the material is correct and the welding is good.. The FIA seats & harnesses are dated and need to be within 5 years of when they were made to be eligible. You will also need a hand held & plumbed in fire extinguisher for you & your navigator.

you will also need FIA helmet and overalls.

You could also look at Rallycross as its just you in the car and there is a production car class now in the British series. I think they do it at Blyton & Lydden Hill which are the venues down south UK.

Regulations can be found here but there is a lot to take in so don't get too carried away with this

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentvi ... ticle=1176

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions just keep posting
GAJ1
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Postby Ontheway » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:57 am

I was most interested in navigational rallies and other 'lightweight' forms of rallying, however having read small amounts I have a 6 pot which counts me out. I was planning on putting in an OMP bolt in cage sometime soon.

I've volunteered as a Marshall at the Devizes and district car club Myotis Rally (navigational rally) over the Easter weekend so should have any questions answered then and see how things work.
Ontheway

Postby GAJ1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:13 pm

Good Stuff. It might be work looking out for a cheap 4 pot 318ti Compact as they are pretty popular in navigation events. Avtovaz is the man here who has done plenty of road rallies and recently in his 318.
GAJ1
BMW Mad
BMW Mad

Return to New members.