The way forward

Anything of interest, post it here

Moderator: is-si

The way forward

Postby KevLeeds » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi all I'm new to the forum and rallying, so please go easy if I've asked questions that may have already been asked.
I have just bought a compact m.sport, I've started stripping it out and need the correct direction and any secondhand parts I can get my hands on but I would like to do it right the first time.

I plan at replacing the engine as it is down on power for the class obviously so the first question is
.how easy is it to either replace it or get it up to and around the 200bhp mark?
.what would be the the most used cage at the moment and where to get it?
. And is it worth putting the hockey body kit on in order to get the wider track?

Thank you all in advance, this forum has been a great find.

Kev
KevLeeds

Re: The way forward

Postby jerseypug » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:18 am

hello kev,
i rallied a standard engined compact and had great fun with it but it was 0-60 in 10 seconds so very slow compared to most the other cars rallying. i fitted throttle bodies off an e36 m3 and gained 10 bhp which wasn't worth the cost but sounded lovely, i then put an e36 328i engine in which is very easy to do and got 0-60 down to about 6 seconds. i now have gone back to the m42 after spending decent money on it which i am really happy with (getting +200 bhp out of them isn't cheap)
my advice would be to get it as light as possible, fit a medium case lsd with a decent ratio and some sort of bracing to stop it ripping the floor and mounts, e30 325i shafts, bin the rear anti roll bar and fit some decent suspension and brake pads, this will be fun but slow, if you have money left think about upgrading or changing the engine.
if you are just starting rallying i wouldn't bother with the body kit, painting it or spending money and time on anything that is not going to help performance or reliability.
Better to be a second class rally driver than a spectator with an unfinished first class rally car in the garage.
just my opinion
jerseypug
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby KevLeeds » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Thanks for the reply and advice I do appreciate it. I've found a 28i motor for sale but I am not mechincly minded enough to be able to fit it, can you recommend anyone or are you selling yours?
KevLeeds

Postby jerseypug » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:27 pm

i live in jersey, it might cost you less to buy a ready converted car
jerseypug
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Return to General BMW/rally discussion