E36 compact vs coupe

Anything of interest, post it here

Moderator: is-si

E36 compact vs coupe

Postby dude » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Hello and Merry Christmas to you all. I have this question and a could not find the answer an the web so i would like to ask you to help me.

What would be the advantage/disadvantage in E36 compact vs E36 coupe when building a rally/rallycross car?

From what I have found in the web the weigth is almost the same:

http://www.bmwheaven.com/database/compa ... it=Compare

Thank you in advance.
dude

Re: E36 compact vs coupe

Postby notax » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Good question! I have now built three compact rally cars and went down this route largely because I prefer the look of them - especially when fitted with the F2000 bodykit as my current one is. Here are a few pics of similar cars:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bmw+c ... d=0CCsQ7Ak

Although the unmodified weights are the same I think you should be able to get more weight out of a compact if the glass is replaced with plexi glass and the hatch replaced with a fibreglass one. I think my car now weighs just over 1100kg (including a comprehensive cage) with everything about as light as it can be.

The biggest disadvantage of the compact is if you intend to run with over 280bhp (ie anything above a standard 3.0 E36 M3 engine) Up to this amount the rear driveshafts, beam and arms seem to hold up pretty well. I have had massive problems since I started using a race engine putting out 330bhp and if you do this the whole rear end needs re thinking. Good luck with it :D
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby bruvs1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Imho coupe is a better option especially as you can buy a complete car complete with large diff, just a matter of strengthening mounts and suspension arms to cope..
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby dude » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:03 pm

From my point of view coupe is better looking as a standard car. The compact can be made good looking. :)
Beside weight the rear suspension/diff is another concern. As far as I understend in the coupe you can directly swap the large diff and shafts and you can use coilovers without suplimentary mods.
dude

Postby notax » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Yes, I think you are correct. The rear end of the coupe would certainly make your life simpler and probably less expensive too, especially if you are thinking of running with high power/torque.
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Overthelimit » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:13 pm

I have always been under the impression that a compact can be lighter and it's easier to repair the back end on the roadside after an off. Unfortunately the compact is not blessed with good looks. (IMO)
Overthelimit
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Return to General BMW/rally discussion