Rally Finland 2018 - logistics

Anything of interest, post it here

Moderator: is-si

Rally Finland 2018 - logistics

Postby keithr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:25 pm

After going over to spectate on Rally Finland 2017 I now have it in my head to take car over from UK to have a go at the Vetomies (national) rally 2018 which usually follows the WRC event on the Sat stages.

I have started looking at getting car/service van over from Aberdeen to Jyvaskyla but underestimated the logistical issues and time it will take each way. Options I have looked at so far are listed below but wondering if anyone has any suggestions/advice for any other options. Has anyone experience of freighting a car with wheels/spares to Finland?

1) Drive down with van/trailer to chunnel. Up thru europe into Sweden to Stockholm or Kapellstar and then ferry across to Naantali/Turku in Finland. Approx 2,100mls each way.
2) Drive down with van/trailer to chunnel. Thru europe to Tallinn/Estonia and then ferry across to Helsinki in Finland. Approx 2,400mls each way.
3) Drive to Immingham and then get freight passage on ferry to Esberg or Gothenburg. Drive across Sweden and then ferry from Kapellstar to Naantali. Probably best logistically but cost of ferry Immingham/Sweden approx. £1,600 return.

Will compare cost of extra diesel and acc'm for days if go long route thru Europe against Immingham ferry costs.
keithr

Re: Rally Finland 2018 - logistics

Postby Overthelimit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 pm

You will need to calculate the running costs per mile for your vehicle(pence per mile). Then work out the total trip costs for each route, adding Mileage x ppm + ferry costs + road/bridge tolls. If you get two types of route with similar cost, you can then decide which is more convenient.
Overthelimit
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby keithr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:19 pm

yes going through that process now. Quite a few other ferry options that I hadn't already considered from UK to Europe and also from Germany to Helsinki.
keithr

Postby roadrally_nova » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:26 am

couple off issues i see do you really want to rally after driving the milage you are planing
who are you phoning for the ferry quotes
roadrally_nova
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby keithr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:26 am

roadrally_nova wrote:couple off issues i see do you really want to rally after driving the milage you are planing
who are you phoning for the ferry quotes

Don't mind the driving. If I can get suitable ferry crossings at right time then will be able to sleep during the crossings. Judith at Fairfield motorsport is being very helpful. One issue is organisers of rally can't confirm what date the Vetomies recce will be so can't firm up outward travel date.
keithr

Postby roadrally_nova » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 pm

ive always had better quotes of http://www.teamcoordin8.com/ used them for various rallys now and every time i shop around first always end up booking with them dover calais they where £100 cheaper each way than fairfield
roadrally_nova
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby keithr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:58 pm

roadrally_nova wrote:ive always had better quotes of http://www.teamcoordin8.com/ used them for various rallys now and every time i shop around first always end up booking with them dover calais they where £100 cheaper each way than fairfield

Thanks I will look at them.
keithr

Postby Overthelimit » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Ring the ferry company direct & cut out the leeches, er I mean middle men.
Overthelimit
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby roadrally_nova » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:06 am

Overthelimit wrote:Ring the ferry company direct & cut out the leeches, er I mean middle men.

also tried that to find they are the most expensive ,
roadrally_nova
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Return to General BMW/rally discussion