Compact Fuel surge and tank size

Any general technical information & questions, body shell prep etc

Moderator: is-si

Compact Fuel surge and tank size

Postby steve kb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:02 am

Hi all,

I have an e36 318ti compact rally car with an S54 installed here in New Zealand and have a couple of questions in regards to the fuel set up.

First off, im nstalling a supercharger kit on the S54 and will be using a lot more fuel. Does anyone know if there is a direct fit OEM fuel tank that will fit that’s larger than my current standard tank? I believe standard is 52ltrs https://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=13838 Maybe the 323ti tank was larger?

Secondly, I’ve been getting bad fuel surge due to a quick fix I had to make to get the S54 fuel pump to fit with the original fuel tank insert. It’s a horrible setup Done on the fly and needs fixing. I was looking at using the twin in tank fuel pump set up like bimmerworld sells (hoping the fuel tank gauge still works) and pumping into a surge tank.

What have others used with proven results?
I haven’t even looked at the fuel line size and may need to upgrade that too.

Thanks
steve kb

Re: Compact Fuel surge and tank size

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 am

I tried twin fuel pump and it didnt work for me still

Now run a swirl pot, use standard pump to swirl pot then Bosch 044 (GENUINE ONLY) pump from there to engine..

All behind the seat in a box
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Compact Fuel surge and tank size

Postby steve kb » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks for the reply Mr Fuzzy.

I've decided to go down the route of twin VDO lift pumps using the pre 1995 3 series fuel pump housings as these have the reruns. Have to make up an adaptor for the lift pump as its a lot smaller than the OE pump. Have installed a surge tank and Bosch 044 pump in the spare wheel well area. I didn't have room behind the seat due to lack of space. I'm fairly certain this will get every drop available in the tank.

Also ran the fuel tank part number and couldn't find a larger one.

Compact fuel line size is the same as an E46 M3 so no issues with the steel line under the car.
Will put up some photos when I'm done.

Cheers
steve kb

Return to General