Routing Fuel Lines Inside a Compact

Any general technical information & questions, body shell prep etc

Moderator: is-si

Routing Fuel Lines Inside a Compact

Postby nick323ti » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Can anyone give some advice on the best way to route fuel lines inside the car.

For now I wasn't planning on using the 2 fuel pumps and will initially rely on one (original) fuel pump.

I suppose I just make a couple of holes in the body low down in the rear passenger foot-wells with bulkhead fittings?

Any advice on how to do away with the vapour control devices inside the rear quarter panels? If I keep these is there any advice on what to do with the blue hoses / pipes? I don't really want a lot of hoses / pipes inside the car... :roll:
nick323ti

Re: Routing Fuel Lines Inside a Compact

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 pm

I now put 2 holes in the top covers of the fuel pumps , same as the wiring, come straight out top and then down the tunnel
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nick323ti » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks Fuzzy

Did you retain the fuel expansion tank and charcoal filer inside the quarter panels and keep the blue hoses, etc?
nick323ti

Postby mrfuzzyfelts » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:24 am

nick323ti wrote:Thanks Fuzzy

Did you retain the fuel expansion tank and charcoal filer inside the quarter panels and keep the blue hoses, etc?

No bin the lot, i run a pipe from the breather on top of tank, T into breather on filler and run it outside to vent it all
Banana BMW
mrfuzzyfelts
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nick323ti » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with the fuel lines issues.

I am not clear on a few things regards routing the fuel lines...

I guess everyone using the standard fuel pump just attaches the braided hose to the hose tail on the pump with a jubilee clip and this is OK for the fuel supply and return line?

I think the rule book request bulkhead fittings between the firewall? What do folks use here if they use them at all? Can you get a bulkhead fitting with a hose tail on each side?

I have seen all sorts of pretty looking and nicely coloured (and extremely expensive) threaded AN and JIC fittings...is it really required?

I'd be very grateful if anyone can share any pictures of how they did their fuel lines then please post them or I can PM my email address or phone number for WhatsApp.

Thanks!
nick323ti

Postby keithr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 pm

Nick, blue book states (J5.13.2 page 150) all fuel line fittings inside cockpit must be screwed connections or vehicle manufacturers approved joints so no push on jubilee clip joints inside cockpit. With fuel injection running much higher pressure on delivery side than carbs you might want to look at a screwed connection to the pump as well. Fuel hose passing thru cockpit (if non metallic) also needs to be internally or externally metallic braided or be made of fuel lines complying with FIA specification ie aviation approved hose. Few year ago when building Evo 5 using std tank we drilled thru mild steel JIC male plugs and then braised them onto the steel pipes coming out of the tank. This gave us the screw on connection.
keithr

Postby nick323ti » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks for the info Keith.
I'm aware of the braided hose requirements, etc.

I don't see anyway to graft a screwed connection on to the standard fuel pump or level gauge for teh return line..

Also the original set up was that the hose was attached to the fuel pump hose tail with a sort of manufacturer type jubilee type clip.
nick323ti

Return to General