(E36) Solid mounts for gravel?

Any general technical information & questions, body shell prep etc

Moderator: is-si

(E36) Solid mounts for gravel?

Postby St.Nick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:12 am

Wondering if many of you gravel guys run solid mounted diffs, engines and subframes.

Does solid mounting such things create issues for gravel/forest racing, considering its a lot rougher and varied in comparison to circuit or tarmac?

I won't be seam welding my shell, the engine and driveline will be essentially stock, and I'll be using a bolt-in cage. However, I will be adding the recommended strenghtening/bracing in places.

I'm thinking that solid mountings in the subframe, and hard rubber on engine, 'box and diff.
Whats the likelihood of casings/brackets cracking due to stiffer/solid mountings??
St.Nick

Re: (E36) Solid mounts for gravel?

Postby rally_rich » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi Nick

I have a compact so the back end is completely different to your sedan. I have solid mounted my rear beam and used a twin ear diff cover which is also solid mounted. I did this because I could get solid mounts made easily by a friend and I think the rear beam should be solid and any compliance should be in the suspension arm bushes. As you are building your car cheap and cheerfully I would just leave the rear bushes as standard. I don't think you will have any issues either way. You have a twin ear diff cover so should have no issues tearing that out.

The cast aluminium engine mounts are known to break so it is probably worth replacing these with fabricated steel ones. I don't know about the reliability of the rubber part of the engine mounts but there has been some discussion on this forum somewhere so try a search. I replaced mine with ebay racer alternatives but it may not be necessary. I have standard gearbox mounts and have no issues there.

Good luck with your build.

Rich
rally_rich
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Return to General