Reducing exhaust decibels

Any general technical information & questions, body shell prep etc

Moderator: is-si

Reducing exhaust decibels

Postby notax » Mon May 04, 2015 5:20 pm

In recent events we have been recorded at 100dbs at 4.5k revs, ie right on the maximum allowed. Strangely, my car is one of the quietest at events once under way according to spectators. The car seems noisier now that we have had it fitted with a custom DTA map. We have recently fitted a third box to the custom made 3 inch system, but this has probably only brought us down a db or two (so we are now at rather than slightly over 100) All the boxes are the plate type, so there are no baffles to blow out. As we only need to keep the noise down a tiny bit I was wondering whether a resonator tail pipe would make any difference? I'm keen not to increase back pressure, another thought is to fit a remote control valve in the exhaust, which I can close to get through scrutineering and reopen once competing... Any thoughts?
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Re: Reducing exhaust decibels

Postby gartrac » Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Chris, I bet your DTA ecu has the option to run 2 maps which are switchable

If the old map was quieter switch to that one for noise test, you could probably have it tweaked to be even quieter at the all important 4.5k
gartrac
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby notax » Tue May 05, 2015 8:02 am

gartrac wrote:Chris, I bet your DTA ecu has the option to run 2 maps which are switchable

If the old map was quieter switch to that one for noise test, you could probably have it tweaked to be even quieter at the all important 4.5k

That's a really interesting idea, thanks. I'll see whether Martin (Mef) who supplied the system thinks it is possible 8)
notax
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby bruvs1 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:24 pm

2nd that, or disconnect rev counter it'll sound quieter then!! Lol
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Thu May 07, 2015 8:55 am

Yes, its certainly possible to have a switch to switch between 2 maps, you will need to put a wire into pin 15 of the Sensor connector and switch it to sensor ground.

But..... looking at the settings in your map I can see that Pin 15 is already in use by the downshift paddle input so you will first have to move that to pin 29 (cam 2 hall effect input, which isnt used on your car) and change the setting in the DTASwin software to accept this....simples!

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Thu May 07, 2015 9:00 am

I wonder what would happen to the noise level if you used launch control and set the revs to 4500rpm? It might be noisier or possibly not! Try it!

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Return to General