Competition seats & mounts

Any general technical information & questions, body shell prep etc

Moderator: is-si

Competition seats & mounts

Postby davidc » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:06 am

Whats everyone using for seats in their rally cars ?

What are you using for seat mounts ?

I see there are a few options like weld-in seat bars & then mount the alloy side mounts onto them as well as a lad on E-bay selling side mounts that bolt-on to the origianl mounts.

Any advice ?

Cheers,
David
davidc

Re: Competition seats & mounts

Postby davidc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Anyone ?

What about steering wheels ? Positioning ?

Dished or flat ?

Cheers,
David
davidc

Postby rally_rich » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:32 am

Hi David

I have brought a set of these driftworks seat rails that bolt to the original seat mounts. They are good quality but maybe a bit heavy. I seam welded where the original seat mount brackets attach to the main shell but I am sure that isn't essential. Its an easy way to get the job done.

[url]
http://www.driftworks.com/driftworks-bm ... -rail.html[/url]

Rich
rally_rich
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby davidc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:15 am

rally_rich wrote:Hi David

I have brought a set of these driftworks seat rails that bolt to the original seat mounts. They are good quality but maybe a bit heavy. I seam welded where the original seat mount brackets attach to the main shell but I am sure that isn't essential. Its an easy way to get the job done.

[url]
http://www.driftworks.com/driftworks-bm ... -rail.html[/url]

Rich

Thanks for the feedback.

Are they steel mounts ?

Do you know what width of seats they are suitable for ?

Cheers !
David
davidc

Postby rearwheelsteercompact » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:53 pm

E36/E46 Driftworks seat frames are a direct bolt-on solution for your sidemount bucket seat. Steel, 2 piece design, easy to install and adjust via bolt holes spaced in increments along the frame.

Offset as far as possible towards the transmission tunnel, and sitting flush to the floorpan, they will ensure your seat sits as low as possible and in the perfect driving position. Suits seats up to 40cm in mounting width.

:wink:
rearwheelsteercompact
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby sh123 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:00 pm

I have similar to them. Automac make the ones i have. Only just fitted them but i find that they are to low at highest position so ill have to raise them somehow. (Im around 5"7/5"8) but they are good quality and a good option!
sh123
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby davidc » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:02 pm

rearwheelsteercompact wrote:E36/E46 Driftworks seat frames are a direct bolt-on solution for your sidemount bucket seat. Steel, 2 piece design, easy to install and adjust via bolt holes spaced in increments along the frame.

Offset as far as possible towards the transmission tunnel, and sitting flush to the floorpan, they will ensure your seat sits as low as possible and in the perfect driving position. Suits seats up to 40cm in mounting width.

:wink:

Thanks for that, although 400mm seems narrow.....the seats I'm looking at are 510mm/515mm between the mounts....hence the question.

Cheers,
David
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:05 pm

sh123 wrote:I have similar to them. Automac make the ones i have. Only just fitted them but i find that they are to low at highest position so ill have to raise them somehow. (Im around 5"7/5"8) but they are good quality and a good option!

I've seen them & been in touch with them.

I've the same problem being a short ass so maybe need to look at different options.

I was thinking of making up steel bars to mount onto the original holes & then alloy 3-piece alloy subframes (multi-hole) onto them to allow a bit of adjustment.

I really need to have a closer look.....but a bolt-in job would be best if I could find something that I know will suit.

Cheers,
David
davidc

Postby gartrac » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:36 pm

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/floor-mount-adapters-e36-e46-p559.aspx

Expensive particularly when you add the VAT, shipping. import duty etc but a nice solution

Peter
gartrac
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby sh123 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:56 am

davidc wrote:
sh123 wrote:I have similar to them. Automac make the ones i have. Only just fitted them but i find that they are to low at highest position so ill have to raise them somehow. (Im around 5"7/5"8) but they are good quality and a good option!

I've the same problem being a short ass so maybe need to look at different options.

I was thinking of making up steel bars to mount onto the original holes & then alloy 3-piece alloy subframes (multi-hole) onto them to allow a bit of adjustment.

I really need to have a closer look.....but a bolt-in job would be best if I could find something that I know will suit.

Cheers,
David

Ive put 2" square section under mine yesterday and its spot on now. Have a look at what omp offer. Looks like adapters which are around 2" high which bolt to standard mounts then you bolt standard seat mounts. Not seen in person but looked flimsy but should be ok if you brace them? Just a thought
sh123
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby davidc » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:12 am

gartrac wrote:http://store.vacmotorsports.com/floor-mount-adapters-e36-e46-p559.aspx

Expensive particularly when you add the VAT, shipping. import duty etc but a nice solution

Peter

A nice product but a bit over engineered & expensive for my application but thanks for the link !! :D

Cheeers,
David
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:14 am

sh123 wrote:
davidc wrote:

Cheers,
David

Ive put 2" square section under mine yesterday and its spot on now. Have a look at what omp offer. Looks like adapters which are around 2" high which bolt to standard mounts then you bolt standard seat mounts. Not seen in person but looked flimsy but should be ok if you brace them? Just a thought

Its maybe worth fitting the weld-in seat rails if the Automac ones need raised 2" but saying that, if you fit the bars then there would be nothing stopping you using the universal single piece or 3 piece side mounts.

Its good to know how you're getting on.....just in case I order the Automac ones & expect them to be a straight fit.....

Cheers,
David
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Has anyone used the Cobra side mounts, they are offset to mount the seats central to the steering wheel & as close to the tunnel as possible, similar to a few on E-bay:

These are the seats that should be going in the car:

Cheers !
David
davidc

Return to General