sump guard

Any general technical information & questions, body shell prep etc

Moderator: is-si

sump guard

Postby marty rocket » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:25 pm

merry christmas everyone :D ...im wanting to make a sump guard for my e36 rally car build was wondering if any of you could post pics of yours for ideas , any knowledge on whats best would be great ......cheers everyone 8)
marty rocket

Re: sump guard

Postby ChrisRally » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Have a look at http://www.m3rally.co.uk There are some photos of us mocking mine up in wood before having it made. We decided to make it quick release, which absolutely paid dividends when we had issues with the power steering. It takes about 2 secs to remove and 5 to put back. There are some photos of the front mounting frame for it. I have the "X" frame and we made some brackets that simply slide over the top of that, then the front is retained with Lynch pins.

I know I have a photo of the finished thing somewhere, or if I get chance will pop out to the Car tomorrow and take some.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby marty rocket » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm

hi chris ,thank for your reply ,..your sites excellent ,your cars same as mine less 2 doors!! ...i see youve done so many jobs as i have !! ..welded roof ,hydro handbrake same position as mine!! ...lol .....yes i like the sound of a quick release sump guard ,i also have the cross brace fitted to my car ....so yes as much info/pics would be awsome , many thanks marty 8)
marty rocket

Postby ChrisRally » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:37 pm

MR,

Just wrote all this, hit submit and it's all gone :x . So here we go again.

View of the top of the guard. The front is obviously at the top of the photo.

One of the rear brackets. These slide on over the rear of the "X" frame. They also slide on from the back to the front. I know this seems wrong, but there is no room to go from the front, and the only way it can come off is if the guard moves backwards, which means you have just been tree felling and have more to worry about than a loose sumpguard.

View of one of the front brackets. The pins for the lynch pins to locate through were a snug fit inside the tube we made the frame from, but I was concerned about the small area to weld it to, so we drilled a couple of large holes in the frame, slotted the side and then welded all these up to increase the weld area.

The front frame. The main part is a piece of unequal angle, which had to be modified to accomodate the bumper mounts. The rear pointing tubes are to transfer any lateral load imposed by the sumpguard onto the chassis. I wanted to ensure this whole piece was removable, so the rear of these tubes is cut, and a pin located the two halves. A 6mm bolt holds it together, but never sees any load so is OK.

Hope this all helps and makes sense, drop me a line if not. I am away all weekend, in Bruvs area.
ChrisRally
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Return to General