Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Hello all,

what I have found out so far (please correct me if wrong):

Rubber bushes: Excentric on 3.0, centric on 3.2

Arms: Standard geometry on 3.0, outer ball joint moved forward on 3.2

Top mounts: Mounting point moved to rear on 3.0, to rear and outwards on 3.2

Uprights: Different part number, but no idea regarding design differences

My questions:

Are there any differences between 3.0/3.2 uprights? If so, what?

Both cars have more caster than a standard E36, but how much? What is the caster difference between the two M models?

King pin inclination seems to be different due to the upper mounting point being moved outwards on 3.2, but is this really the case or is it compensated by possible differences in upright design?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each design, or which one would you go for and why?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Kevin
Kevin

Re: E36 M3 front axle differences between 3.0 and 3.2

Postby keithr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Kevin, did you find out any more information on the differences between 3.0ltr and 3.2ltr uprights etc? regards Keith
keithr

Postby Kevin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Hey Keith,

info on the subject seems to be difficult to obtain, however here is what I have found so far :

Differences between 3.2 and standard E36 upright (distance strut mounting point to track rod mounting point 8cm on M3 3.2/6 cm on standard E36, strut mounting point 1,5cm further towards front of car compared to wishbone on M3 3.2).

Differences between various wishbones, things seem to be a lot more complicated than I anticipated (sorry, all in German, but hopefully self-explanatory- if not, feel free to ask):

I'm sure there's more unverified internet wisdom to be found on my computer, will have a look and post it here.

Regards,
Kevin
Kevin

Postby keithr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 am

Kevin, that is excellent information thanks. So hubs are different and all E36 wishbones vary as well. I bought wishbones off Ebay to use as spares on my M3 Evo suspension so need to do some more checking on what is fitted now. Noticed the rear lollipop bushes are centre hole type rather than the offset bushes.
keithr

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes