Standard brakes on a Compact

Information & questions relating to suspension, steering & brakes

Moderator: is-si

Standard brakes on a Compact

Postby rally_rich » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:51 pm

I am running E36 328 front brakes and standard compact rears on my compact to keep the 15" wheels for gravel use. I have removed the servo assist and fitted a bias box with a 0.625" front master cylinder and 0.70" rear master cylinder.
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/bmw-e36-brake-balance-bar-bias-pedal-box-wilwood-master-cylinders.html

I find the brakes terrible when running up and down the road on tarmac. The rears seem to be working well but the fronts dont have enough bite at all. I have to really stand on it to slow down. I have pulled apart the bias to check if its binding and will replace the master cyclinder in hope that it may be that. The system bleeds fine and is definately getting pressure to the front but not what I would have expected.

Can anyone else give me their experience of standard brakes with the servo removed, good or bad. Does anyone know a good set up for 4 pot front calipers that fit under 15" wheels? I have looked into this and am finding it hard to find a solution that doesn't clash with the BMW caliper lugs (on hub) .

Rich
rally_rich
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Re: Standard brakes on a Compact

Postby bruvs1 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Have you left enough slack in the blocks on the side of the bias tube?
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby rally_rich » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Yes I have checked that. There was some marks on the sides of the blocks so it has been clashing previously. However I have fixed that and added some washers to locate the bias pivot a bit better and more positively and still no improvement.
rally_rich
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby petsracing » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:28 am

are you using competition pads?
standard pads do not work with pedalbox
petsracing

Postby rally_rich » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Yes I only have standard pads in at present. I really didn't think this would make much difference and competition pads would only show a significant benefit under hard use / high temp etc? Will competition pads bite more with a lower caliper force? I have been reluctant to get competition pads in case I determined that I needed to go to four pots.
rally_rich
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby petsracing » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:59 pm

Yes they have more bite
I tried mine with standard pads 'scary'
buy the best you can afford
petsracing

Postby rally_rich » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Thanks for your help petsracing.

I have been speaking to Alan @ Questmead (UK). Very helpful and I have some Mintex pads, M1155 for the front and M1144 for the rear, arriving tomorrow. I will get them bedded in this weekend and post on the difference.
rally_rich
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby rally_rich » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:57 am

The Mintex pads have certainly made the difference I was looking for. The brakes lock up now without having to use both legs on the pedal. :D
rally_rich
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Postby petsracing » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:49 pm

:D sweet
petsracing

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes