E36 M3 Tarmac Suspension

Information & questions relating to suspension, steering & brakes

Moderator: is-si

E36 M3 Tarmac Suspension

Postby BigFell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 pm

I've got to change the suspension on my E36 M3 Coupe as current HSD set up is more suited to track / drift work than tarmac rallying.

What's everyones latest experience / views on what's best??

My criteria is:
Set up needs to work on road type events - so Ireland, Manx, Jim Clark, Mull, Epynt, Otterburn
Need decent amount of travel
Adjustable ride height
Adjustable damping
Can't afford the likes of Proflex, Reiger etc

A lot of people appear to be using Bilstein - how well does it work?
Some have mentioned AVO - how good is it?

What about adjustable top mounts? The ones supplied with the HSD stuff aren't bad - fully adjustable camber & castor - what else are people using?

Cheers,

Rich...
BigFell

Re: E36 M3 Tarmac Suspension

Postby bruvs1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 pm

no problems with bilstein 8) but getting travel is another job in itself! :|
http://www.bruvsmotorworks.co.uk 320is, 330is rallying!
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby BigFell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:51 pm

bruvs1 wrote:no problems with bilstein 8) but getting travel is another job in itself! :|

That seems to be the problem!

For Irish / Manx tarmac, the rule of thumb seems to be - Forest Travel, Tarmac spring rates

I don't know what to do for best...

Rich..
BigFell

Postby bruvs1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:59 am

can only speak on isle of man terms, the main problem really is druidale, without travel it will bounce you off the road if you have no travel in the suspension and you normally do at least 2 runs over it !! if you speak to bilstein direct they will make you any length of unit no problem, we've just dealt with them for the rear coilovers on the compact and we're good to deal. it's just a case of knowing what you want :)
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Daishag » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Ive opted for the Gaz Gold units for my M3 Powered Compact but i honestly can't say what she will handle like as i havent used it as yet !!!!!!!

The guy i spoke to at Gaz asked what i intended using the car for i said the local taramac rally was at Ty Croes race circuit and i wanted to do an Epynt style event as well. His reply was "We sponsor a one make race circuit for Compacts so we know what works on race circuits and i personally run an Impreza Tarmac Rally Car and do events regular at Epynt and Otterburn so i know what they are like so what i can do is give you the lowest and hardest setting on the Gaz Gold Coil Over Units to suit Ty Croes and smooth Tarmac Single Venues etc and the Highest / Softest settings will suit the likes of Epynt and Otterburn"

The Coil overs i recieved seem pretty good quality, im a bit concerned over the poundage though the fronts are 2 1/2" 550lbs springs and rears are 2 1/4" 275lbs springs. The rear coil overs run an offset pillowball alloy top mount to get the coil over into the std turret on a compact, and the fronts run the same style top mounts as the HSD units as my car came with them fitted when i bought it, but since i had'nt heard off them i sold them on ebay on bought the GAZ units etc.

Cheers Dave aka Daishag Rallying 07805835655
Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby davethegoat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:44 pm

I might be interested in your HSD's if you decide to sell them on.
Drop me an e'mail at davevanmann@hotmail.com if you'd rather keep your thread on topic! :D

Cheers! Dave. :)
davethegoat

Postby BigFell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Daishag wrote:
The Coil overs i recieved seem pretty good quality, im a bit concerned over the poundage though the fronts are 2 1/2" 550lbs springs and rears are 2 1/4" 275lbs springs. The rear coil overs run an offset pillowball alloy top mount to get the coil over into the std turret on a compact, and the fronts run the same style top mounts as the HSD units as my car came with them fitted when i bought it, but since i had'nt heard off them i sold them on ebay on bought the GAZ units etc.

Those springs seem a bit hefty as you say, I'd expect something like 400's on the front & slightly less on the rear.

Will be really interested to see how you get on with them,

Cheers,

Rich..
BigFell

Postby Daishag » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:47 pm

I agree with what you say and im concerned etc BUT my mate "Cliff" who used to run a MK2 in Class C (which all ways used to win its class) and now owns the F2000 E36 Compact pictured on this forum used to run his Mk2 with 500lbs up front and 250lbs rear which is un-heard of on a Mk2 but it worked for him so i think it all depends on yer driving style and the type of events you are going to be doing as to the poundage of the springs etc

I will let you know when i get to use it as to how it handles and what i think of it etc

Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby bruvs1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:20 pm

i can't see why any m3 coupe would need anything more than a 350lb spring on the front and 250lb rears. any real deveation from them would leave the car with cronic handling. as always its a compromise for wet/dry running.., too hard works great in the dry, crap in the wet. etc.. 500lb sounds like a race set up (single venue) after all rich is setting up for bumpy lanes. :wink:
bruvs1
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby mef » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:18 pm

I bought 300lbs for mine for the front and I think the rears are 275lbs but cant remember now. The rears are not as directly acting as a strut as the 1 series has a multi-link setup, a bit like an EVO. The effective rating of the rears acting on the wheel is less due to the mechanical advantage due to the point where the coil-over picks up on the lower arm. I didn;t want to make it too hard and compromise traction, it feels quite good on the road but needs a proper event to test it yet. I have AVO's but so far I can't comment except that Nigel at AVO was very helpful in getting them made to suit my car etc...

Martin
mef
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby Daishag » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:39 pm

As i said in my original post all ive done is gone by what the guys at Gaz Socks told me so gotta use it and find out what it handles like like anything new its a huge learning curve !!!!!! What works on one car dosent on another !!!!!!

Daishag
BMW Obsessed
BMW Obsessed

Postby lahondal » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 pm

I ordered a GAZ gold set last week for my compact. I told the Gaz man i like stiff cars, more or less like a kart (All is for a driving confidence question), and he recommended me a 600F/275R poundage.

Will be a tarmac rally car and some stages here are a little bumpy, but i hope setting it at a softer setting make it works.
lahondal
Bmw Fan
Bmw Fan

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes